Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GridBug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2014, 5:36 pm

My adult aspie son built a Think-A-Matic from a Makerbot kit. It wasn't easy but now when he's around others who are into 3D printers he has something to talk about. When he made parts for a friend's model train set, he was in a rare talkative mood. It's been good for him to work with 3d printers.
I'm hoping that since 3D printers are far from user friendly, that this will be like PC's were in the 80's. He'll be more valued for his knowledge on them. It's also been fun to have a replicator in the house. We've been making interesting things and a few parts to repair things.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 3:35 pm

I don't cover manufacturing myself, but, a lot of the design journalists I work with have gotten access to some to write reviews on, not too many have built them from the kits, they're usually completed units.

Glad your son is having fun with it.
I can't wait to see how the technology finds niches we haven't even dreamed of yet.

I went to a maker space in SF, owned by Autodesk, and saw their array of 3d printers... Amazing the things they've built with them. From cityscapes to plastic chain mail, lol.