Awful perception of time effects relationships.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Iyelix
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

Gonna keep this simple so it isn't TMI, basically I recently lost one of the closest friends I ever had, because my perception of time is horrible, and I accidentally provided misinformation about why I was gone so long, thinking I was gone longer than I was. Even though it was a complete accident, my friend thought I was intentionally trying to lie, and well, this is the aftermath of that. There's no turning back at this point, I just have to live with the consequences, devastating as they might be. If you ask me the details or who it was, I'm not going to tell you, that's the part I won't talk about.

I've recently decided to myself, I never want to risk accidentally providing misinformation ever again, so when talking about my schedule I'm going to try to avoid talking about the specific hours, cause my sense of time is so bad, I risk providing misinformation, and never want to risk something like this happening ever again. Has something like this ever happened to anyone else?... I hope I'm not the only person who ever had this happen, it feels awful. So if you ever had any remotely similar experiences, please tell me about them, that is if you feel comfortable doing so, and you can keep the TMI info out as well, just talking about how it made you feel or whatever. I'm in a deep state of despair right now, and just reading about people with similar situations would help me cope a lot right now.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm

This seems to me like a logistical mess that hasn't resolved itself yet with respect to either of you. We may have bizarre perceptions of this particular dimension but that never meant we can't mark it. I'm forced to assume you still live on the same planet as this individual, so potentially the resolution in this conflict hasn't reached either one of you. Let your friends provide the context and be nice to yourself in the meantime, I know QUITE A LOT about breakups and I can tell you they're almost never so abrupt...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 3:43 pm

I often don't even know what month it is, but I've never run into this issue because I don't have friends. When I was still in high school, though, I used to miss my National Honor Society meetings all the time.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm

Sometimes it seems like something happened days ago but it was more like a month.I was called a liar becuse of this,I didn't lie,but I didn't get the week an event happened right.This person is really anal about what day things happen on,so maybe it was a clash of different disorders. :D

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

When I'm actively involved in a project, I've got a good sense of time. However, since I have a very good memory, things don't fade and provide the sense of distance. I'm 58 and I can remember lots of things from when I was a little kid, including many events during kindergarten and before. Also, if I get to work on something, I don't know if an hour has passed or three hours.

Iyelix
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2014, 4:45 am

Misslizard wrote:
Sometimes it seems like something happened days ago but it was more like a month.I was called a liar becuse of this,I didn't lie,but I didn't get the week an event happened right.

So I guess I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Quote:
When I'm actively involved in a project, I've got a good sense of time. However, since I have a very good memory, things don't fade and provide the sense of distance. I'm 58 and I can remember lots of things from when I was a little kid, including many events during kindergarten and before. Also, if I get to work on something, I don't know if an hour has passed or three hours.

I have a relatively good memory of some things that happened in my childhood, but just that they happened, not WHEN they happened, my perception of time is completely screwed.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:13 am

Iyelix wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Sometimes it seems like something happened days ago but it was more like a month.I was called a liar becuse of this,I didn't lie,but I didn't get the week an event happened right.

So I guess I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Quote:

I have a relatively good memory of some things that happened in my childhood, but just that they happened, not WHEN they happened, my perception of time is completely screwed.

Again; you at least perceive time in enough detail to recognize your memories, if there truly were no marking of time's passage in your recollections, the events themselves likely could not be distinguished. Thus, I think we're discussing your idea of linear time in particular. What I really mean to say to you is that your friends may be on a longer path than you towards understanding your perception; give them what you feel you lack, in this case time, you my be repaid in kind...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: