Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 11:49 pm

I've been in a psych ward twice...and both times where rather different from each other. The first was just a small locked area of a larger regular hospital, and so I was stuck inside with no fresh air for 5 days which really sucked, the food was terrible, there was loud air conditioning/heater fans or whatever constantly going and the staff was ok but they kept trying to give me anti-histamines for sleep and anxiety when I told them I can't stand them....they also prescribed me wellbutrin and trazodone, I still take trazodone for sleep and the wellbutrin did not work out well for me at all but was out of the psych ward by the time I found that out.

Then the second time was a better facility in my opinion, it was part of a regular hospital but it was its own building sort of away from the main building and much nicer, very good food a patio we sometimes would have group meeting things on and supervised walks so a little fresh air. The staff and doctors seemed to do a better job of actually listening to what i had to say and where pretty helpful...there was a bit of annoying drama, but that can happen whenever you have people stuck together.

But yeah both times I went due to feeling suicidal, and thinking I would act on it if left to my own devices. I am glad I did not have one of those terrible experiences people have described, but I do worry about that happening since due to my messed up brain I am thinking its very likely that was not the last time I will be in a psych ward....though I'd try and get in the one I was at last time since I know its a good facility.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 11:55 pm

rapidroy wrote:
One has to keep in mind that these are not the kinds of places that high quality, highly trained and experienced staff want to work at as a rule so as they say you get what you get.

I am not so sure considering people go to school to get jobs pertaining to psychiatric treatment....when I was in the psych ward there where even students from some university who came to observe for a day because they are learning to work as psych ward nurses, they certainly seemed interested in the job...so I doubt what you say is always true.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 12:00 am

LupaLuna wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1ruZWJigo[/youtube]

Thanks for posting!! One of my all-time favs!!

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
rapidroy wrote:
One has to keep in mind that these are not the kinds of places that high quality, highly trained and experienced staff want to work at as a rule so as they say you get what you get.

I am not so sure considering people go to school to get jobs pertaining to psychiatric treatment....when I was in the psych ward there where even students from some university who came to observe for a day because they are learning to work as psych ward nurses, they certainly seemed interested in the job...so I doubt what you say is always true.

I work in a mental hospital and our staff varies from extremely caring and qualified to not good at all and in-between.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rapidroy wrote:

I work in a mental hospital and our staff varies from extremely caring and qualified to not good at all and in-between.

I figured it was more likely its a mixture....I bet if you've met one member of a mental hospital staff you have met one member of a mental hospital staff, some do really care and want to help, some probably just see it as a job to make money with and some might want to be in a position where they can control others....the last type are probably the most dangerous, the second probably tend to be a bit incompetent...just focused on finishing work for the day and the first kind are much better at listening.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 12:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjfcggmk9MU[/youtube]

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

I've been pinned down to the ground and had meds injected into me, yes I may have needed the meds, but the way they went about it made it worse for me.

I've been in secure units before as well - I didn't shower for two weeks many times over in secure units because I was told a nurse would have to literally watch (aka stare at) me for the whole time.

I went for four days without food or water because of my severe paranoia at the time and the nurses didn't do anything, until the fourth day when three nurses approached me and said "eat and drink or else we will force feed you".

I had my phone confiscated many times even though I rely strongly on it for communication.

I was refused any format of leave after having a meltdown due to sensory overload, the nurses said "we will not put up with your childish behaviour".

I was sexually harassed by a 60 year old patient while I was on an adult ward, when. I was 19. Nurses thought I was "delusional" when I told them.

The patient alarms led to many of my meltdowns.

I was handcuffed for 13 hours before I was put in the secure unit on one occasion.

Patients were awful: they would scream, pee on the floor, strip naked, fiddle with themselves etc in front of me.

Surprised why I have had to be sectioned with police presence in order to be "treated" in hospital?

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
They take you to a room without really explaining anything... then just forget about you there.
And that is that. You're locked in an unfamiliar, uncomfortable room and left there until it is someone's job to do something about you... which they really don't want to do.

They're probably called mental hospitals because they're meant to drive you mental.

I had to rip down my entire personality, cover and hide everything that makes me who I am... and cloak myself densely in a fabric of lies in order to .... effectively trick the staff there into believing it was okay to release me.
I've never really been the same since. The shame of having to go against almost all my values and standards is one I'm going to be stuck with as long as I live.
Most traumatic experience of my life.

Maybe some day I'll go back... and kill all those f*****s who put me through hell... and release all their other victims. Maybe.

Yeah, this was my experience as well. f*****g awful...