Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 4:56 pm

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?

I was just drinking some bubble tea - which isn't really tea but is a sweet cold drink with rubbery balls of tapioca on the bottom. They give you a big straw to suck the tapioca up with. Because it's a cold drink, it comes with ice too. So I started drinking it, first chewing the ice from the top which was really good, but then before all the ice was gone I switched to the straw to get some of the tapioca balls. For some reason, eating the tapioca and seeing the ice still there made me really uncomfortable. I have no idea why. But when I switched back to eating the ice off the top with tapioca still on the bottom, I felt happy again. Just to experiment, I went back to trying the tapioca with ice still there and that weird (it was a physical sensation of discomfort) came over me again.

What is that? Or is it just some dumb thing that I alone in the universe experience?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

In my perfect little world, tapioca balls are supposed to be soft and a little warm, so I might react the same way. I don´t like the thought of cold tapioca in a drink.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm

wozeree wrote:
Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?

I was just drinking some bubble tea - which isn't really tea but is a sweet cold drink with rubbery balls of tapioca on the bottom. They give you a big straw to suck the tapioca up with. Because it's a cold drink, it comes with ice too. So I started drinking it, first chewing the ice from the top which was really good, but then before all the ice was gone I switched to the straw to get some of the tapioca balls. For some reason, eating the tapioca and seeing the ice still there made me really uncomfortable. I have no idea why. But when I switched back to eating the ice off the top with tapioca still on the bottom, I felt happy again. Just to experiment, I went back to trying the tapioca with ice still there and that weird (it was a physical sensation of discomfort) came over me again.

What is that? Or is it just some dumb thing that I alone in the universe experience?

Don't know if it's happened to me because I don't know what it is....

Maybe it's your brain's "this does not match what I expect -- something is wrong" signal...?

Were you were thinking that you were going to eat all the ice and then eat the tapioca, but switched your plan halfway through eating the ice? If so, maybe for whatever reason some part of your brain didn't adjust to the new plan, so your brain gave you the "something is wrong" signal.

Love transcends all.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm

Maybe that was it. I just kept feeling like something was wrong. And I was looking at it thinking to myself, It's ice in a drink, what is your problem? But I couldn't get over the feeling.

I should donate my brain to science.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 11:04 pm

Yes, this happens to other people too. It's simple, like what one of the other posters said. Your brain was in an ice eating pattern. Changing to eating the tapioca balls before the ice was gone went against the pattern, so you felt uncomfortable. I sleep with radio white sound on low, to partially cover and blur outside noises. When I wake up, before turning off the radio I gradually lower the sound. Simply shutting off the radio without doing that is unsettling. I also do the same thing before shutting off radio programs.

It is actually normal for brains to seek and be comfortable in patterns. The problem comes when we become too obsessed with a pattern, to the point it interferes in our lives, or harms us or someone else. Your issue with ice vs tapioca balls is not a problem, so don't worry about it.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 12:22 am

I'm not worried about it at all, but I am curious.

It was sort of like if you've ever had your eyebrow twitching - except it was my brain acting up.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Tapioca balls in a cold drink 8O

I think there's the problem right there....

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 11:15 am

eggheadjr wrote:

^THIS^

To me tapioca is meant to be in a cold pudding, not stuck in the bottom of a glass! It sounds absolutely horrid to me and I don't think I'd care for it. It sounds like a very lame-brained concoction at best....

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
eggheadjr wrote:

^THIS^

To me tapioca is meant to be in a cold pudding, not stuck in the bottom of a glass! It sounds absolutely horrid to me and I don't think I'd care for it. It sounds like a very lame-brained concoction at best....

Tapioca pudding to me is absolutely revolting, but I like the tapioca balls in bubble tea. They are like gummy bears.

Love transcends all.

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2014, 1:07 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
wozeree wrote:

Maybe it's your brain's "this does not match what I expect -- something is wrong" signal...?