Psychologists have uncovered a troubling feature of people

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 10:49 am

bumble wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I don't think they're saying everyone is either/or all or nothing.

It seems to be classifying people as either agreeable or disagreeable.

Based on the "Big Five Mini-Markers questionnaire" -- yes, they are classifying people, this is pretty much what experimental psychologists do, but it doesn't mean they do it in a simplistic, polarized way.

Quote:
This study investigates how obedience in a Milgram-like experiment is predicted by interindividual differences. Participants were 35 males and 31 females aged 26?54 from the general population who were contacted by phone 8 months after their participation in a study transposing Milgram's obedience paradigm to the context of a fake television game show. Interviews were presented as opinion polls with no stated ties to the earlier experiment. Personality was assessed by the Big Five Mini-Markers questionnaire (Saucier, 1994). Political orientation and social activism were also measured. Results confirmed hypotheses that Conscientiousness and Agreeableness would be associated with willingness to administer higher-intensity electric shocks to a victim. Political orientation and social activism were also related to obedience. Our results provide empirical evidence suggesting that individual differences in personality and political variables matter in the explanation of obedience to authority.

EDITED To add:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~prsnlty/SA ... s.Full.pdf

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

Despite most saying that there is no way they would be pulled in by the electric shock experiment, I think that everyone will say that, no one thinks they would willingly inflict pain like that, unless you are sadistic.

The truth is that people will be pulled in, not because they want to hurt people but because they naturally put the trust and responsibility for their actions into the authority figure.

I think the results of that test were overwhelmingly negative, about 80 per cent of people administered what would be a damaging dose of electricity because they were told to in a authoritive fashion in a lab environment.

because I know the test it effects how I feel I would react, but I cannot honestly say that I would not fall prey to the electric shock test because I don't react well to dominating people, I think I am quite submissive unfortunately.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm

thanks for posting this. copied to my facebook page.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm

I sort of took it for granted that they were talking about "Delores Umbridge nice." Fake, false, superficial, or social niceness. Not kindness.

Unfortunately, "Delores Umbridge nice" is a highly socially valued trait. It shouldn't be, but it is.

As for most people saying that they would not fall victim to the test: I know me. There was a time, when I was younger, more naïve, and more idealistic, that I would not have done. I remember how I thought and acted then; I got in trouble often enough for following my conscience rather than following instructions. Now?? No, now I would 100% "fall victim" to the test. I would sit in my chair and continue to administer shocks to the point of "death." I would force myself to do it over my own internal objections, telling myself that I must comply with instructions and with the majority and that my strong desire not to do so was merely another expression of autism that should be ignored.

Knowing that makes me very, very angry and inexpressibly sad. But so it is.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 2:31 pm

People who are unprincipled also fall into this. By that I don't mean people with consistently poor principles but those with no solid moral grounding of their own. Thier morals often change just by listening to a self-proclaimed subject matter expert or even reading an article that appears convincing.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm

I can be compliant about things, especially if I have no choice in the matter or there are no bad outcomes, but I like to think I would never do something like that.
I can't imagine administering a shock and hearing people scream and continuing to do that.
I live by my own rules and my own sense of right and wrong as I see fit.
I will be defiant and go against so called authority if I believe it is wrong. I have always done that and have no reason to believe I would succumb to that electroshock experiment.

Last edited by Marybird on 10 Jul 2014, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm

Well I must be an uber disagreeable prick then. Probably why I don't get along with most socially (not that I care to anyway). I refused to follow orders at times just because someone says to. I use my logic, reasoning, morals, etc to decide what I will or won't do. Got me into trouble in the military for refusal to obey an order. Long story short, told us to do something over again when it was done properly just because they had nothing for us to do other then busy work. I gave the DO s**t over saying is plenty of useful things to do and this is friggen stupid. Claimed I was a "misfit" and not suitable for duty. What they really meant was I thought for myself evidently a no-no for someone in the military. I just saw it as pointless when so many other useful tasks needed doing. :x

Gotten me into trouble at EVERY job I ever had as well. Always did my job and did it well. However if you give me responsibility to oversee an operation, DON'T tell me how to run it when you're not even there to see what/where we are at and are accomplishing. Customers loved me, sales were way up, and I got fired! :) All because some corporate prick up the ladder wanted to see some metrics which at the store level were meaningless.

But relating this to being nice or not nice is ludicrous to me. Just because I may not agree with something I am respectful and professional. This level of forcing conformity in society is total s**t. It is like here in the US either you are a Democrat or a Republican. Well I don't care for either and I am NOT going to do something because is against party line. But 90% of the sheeple conform and vote for one or the other. Other then social issues, the parties are the same.

So if thinking for ones self is non-conformity, anti-social, disagreeable, and NOT nice then so be it! I will find a cave up in the hills somewhere and stay by myself. This herd mentality (not that there is much in the way of mental processes going on) it utterly reprehensible. These tests show how things like the holocaust and mass executions happen just because they want to "please" another. So for anyone thinking these things will NEVER happen where they live, think again! It shows MANY will blindly follow orders just to please the pack.

On the one hand it is a human failing, on the other I suppose it is how we came to dominate all the other living organisms on this rock. Animals for the most part won't kill or hurt another unless they are hungry, scared (protecting offspring), etc. Animals in this regard are far more civilized then we are!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 5:04 pm

I'm glad I'm not the type of person willing to follow BS rules. If I were told I had to electrocute an innocent person to death, there's no way I'd go throught with it.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm

I was just talking to someone a couple of days ago about this experiment and how it illustrates the hive-mind.

The stereotyping is also part of the hive mind and so I don't agree with that.

For example, I'm extremely conservative, and also the most un-agreeable person you could run into.

A big part of my conservative nature is that I do not automatically accept the thoughts of others, which is how hive-mind replicates.

Being open to new ideas and accepting them as a valid solution are two different things.
Picking out a pattern and acting that pattern out are also two different things.

The process you see here going on in the minds of the audience are the underpinnings of brainwashing and how the hive-mind exists and flourishes. This is how sheeple are made. This is more than recognizing a pattern and predicting steps. This is acting it out and giving over control to the pattern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6tB2KiZuk

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 10:45 pm

Well duh.

Socially "nice" = doing it to fit in and join the herd; if shocking -- shooting some people to death via orders from higher up means all is fine and dandy in the group with you, then so be it

Socially "bad" = doesn't care about fitting in

Hence, socially "nice" and "normal" people are the most dangerous people around.