Psychologists have uncovered a troubling feature of people

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jul 2014, 5:14 am

who seem nice all the time:

http://mic.com/articles/92479/psycholog ... l-the-time

Quote:
In 1961, curious about a person's willingness to obey an authority figure, social psychologist Stanley Milgram began trials on his now-famous experiment. In it, he tested how far a subject would go electrically shocking a stranger (actually an actor faking the pain) simply because they were following orders. Some subjects, Milgram found, would follow directives until the person was dead.

The news: A new Milgram-like experiment published this month in the Journal of Personality has taken this idea to the next step by trying to understand which kinds of people are more or less willing to obey these kinds of orders. What researchers discovered was surprising: Those who are described as "agreeable, conscientious personalities" are more likely to follow orders and deliver electric shocks that they believe can harm innocent people, while "more contrarian, less agreeable personalities" are more likely to refuse to hurt others.

The methodology and findings: For an eight-month period, the researchers interviewed the study participants to gauge their social personality, as well as their personal history and political leanings. When they matched this data to the participants' behavior during the experiment, a distinct pattern emerged: People who were normally friendly followed orders because they didn't want to upset others, while those who were described as unfriendly stuck up for themselves.

"The irony is that a personality disposition normally seen as antisocial ? disagreeableness ? may actually be linked to 'pro-social' behavior,'" writes Psychology Today's Kenneth Worthy. "This connection seems to arise from a willingness to sacrifice one's popularity a bit to act in a moral and just way toward other people, animals or the environment at large. Popularity, in the end, may be more a sign of social graces and perhaps a desire to fit in than any kind of moral superiority."

The study also found that people holding left-wing political views were less willing to hurt others. One particular group held steady and refused destructive orders: "women who had previously participated in rebellious political activism such as strikes or occupying a factory."

This is interesting, and I wonder how autism relates.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 5:37 am

I've heard about this experiment, and it's quite disturbing. I feel very strongly that if I had been a participant fully knowing my actions would cause an electric shock to a person, I would refuse point-blank. It's interesting because in some ways I do have "people pleasing" tendencies and yet I also absolutely "put my foot down" and become a refuse-nik when it comes to something I feel strongly about and do NOT want to do. I can be very stubborn when someone is trying to bend me to their will and I have no intention of following. I could never comply in this experiment. Even with an understanding of a people-pleasing urge, I simply cannot understand how those compliant ones agreed to hurt another person. It baffles me. I'm not the greatest fan of human beings in general but I could never hurt an innocent person.

I also figure that since I often find myself an outcast anyway, it doesn't matter if I don't win any popularity contests -- I have stuck up for my wild bird colony when irresponsible dog owners have allowed their dog to almost take down one of the waterfowl in an attack, so, that's just one thing in a proven track record of being willing to defend the vulnerable at the cost of pissing someone off.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 5:52 am

Hmmm I try to be friendly but am not very good at that. I am quite liberal in some of my politics but not much of a follower

I would refuse to inflict pain on another person as part of a study and would try to get the study shut down by the relevant ethics committee.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:14 am

Almost everyone says they will think for themselves and do the right thing, just most do not in that type of experiment, most conform to the group and to authority.

I was just reading how when someone was having a heart attack, almost no one stopped. The few that stopped were all nurses. They might even have been ER nurses though not sure. They were used to spotting and responding to that type of situation and for them, responding WAS fitting in.

I think that we with autism and Aspergers often miss the social expectation and hierarchy, so when we say we think for ourselves, well, we generally do. We have a lot of practice having to act rather than do nothing, even though we may be out of step with others. I think we can scramble to follow each other as much as anyone, when we notice a group coalescing. We just often don't really see it, or don't know what to do with it. Maybe for us, being out of step IS the norm.

But I am consciously pretty agreeable and described as friendly. Just not someone people want to be friends with. So I don't think the part of disagreeable that's mean spirited is always the relevant issue. Sometimes it's just the (to me) value free issue of disagreeing, however pleasantly, when I or any of us see things differently.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:37 am

"Popularity, in the end, may be more a sign of social graces and perhaps a desire to fit in than any kind of moral superiority."

I find that ENTIRELY believable. This study, while it has greater impact when performed with adults, could have been carried out by a non-participant observer in any middle school lunchroom in the country. :lol: :evil: Sad to say, we get older and we get bigger, but quite a few of us never actually mature.

OF COURSE people who are "nice all the time" are more likely to shock a "victim" even to the point of death. One: They are "nice all the time" because that is what they are told they should be, and they fear judgment and reprisal if they fail to comply. Two: Don'tcha think all that pent-up "other emotions" and the forced effort of being "nice all the time" leads to a lot of frustration, jugged-up anger, contempt for others, and potentially even the DESIRE to hurt others??

Once upon a time, I was the kind of person who would get up and walk out rather than harm another human being. Once upon a time.

Now, though, I've had lots of social skills training. I have worked hard to become less awkward, less rough, more socially acceptable. I'm definitely a "nicer" person. People tell me so all the time.

I think now that I would find it easier to continue shocking the other person, probably with a happy-neutral expression on my face.

And any qualms I had would probably be written down to autism and dismissed.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 7:01 am

There was a repeat of the experiment here in France a year or so ago under the guise of a game show. The game show was just a pretext to do an experiment where participants got an electric shock if they got a question wrong. The more questions they got wrong the higher the voltage. The person getting the shocks was hidden inside a booth, so the other person couldn't see them. The game starts out sort of OK with a little jolt and the person going "Ow!" but after he got more wrong he was screaming. The participants (most of them) continued under pressure from the game show and studio audience host right past the point where the person getting the shocks didn't respond any more (they were presumed unconscious or dead)! !! In reality the person wasn't getting any shocks, he was an actor and it was all about testing how far people will go accepting instructions from an authority figure. In short many people will go all the way up to killing someone! The game show host kept telling the person that if they don't give the electric shock the game will be broken and all the participants will have to all go home, let alone the studio audience who were all there to watch the show... under that pressure almost everyone folded and carried on doing the shocks.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jul 2014, 7:12 am

I don't think when they talk about being "nice" they mean being friendly or people pleasing. I am thinking more of the kind of people who treat "being nice" as a moral imperative, often without consideration for actual kindness, friendliness, etc.

The difference between being kind and being nice is like Dumbledore is kind and Dolores Umbridge is nice. For an extreme example.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:27 am

Verdandi wrote:
I don't think when they talk about being "nice" they mean being friendly or people pleasing. I am thinking more of the kind of people who treat "being nice" as a moral imperative, often without consideration for actual kindness, friendliness, etc.

The difference between being kind and being nice is like Dumbledore is kind and Dolores Umbridge is nice. For an extreme example.

I wish they had broken down or explained the personality descriptions more, as you did. They say that left wing women who had recently participated in protests were a particular group that absolutely refused to hurt with shocks. Obviously these women (and anybody else who refused) disagreed with authority but is disagreeing with authority and disagreeing with other people the same as being "not nice"? It is if you call "nice" simply the act of social propriety and keeping up appearances. But not if you call "nice" the act of making things better for others. Depending on how you use words like "nice" and "agreeable", a nice and agreeable person could be politely cruel like Dolores Umbridge or helpful and kind like Dumbledore.

I wish they had gone into more detail about how they came to the judgements of "agreeable" and "nice". They probably did in the full article but I couldn't access it. The way it seems in this article, the person who would give a sandwich to a homeless person is also the most likely to go along with painfully shocking that same homeless person if told to do so. But the person who would give a sandwich to a homeless person in cities where that is illegal (as it is in some cities) would be the least likely to painfully shock them.

It all hinges on what went into deciding a person is "agreeable" or "disagreeable". I wish that data could be accessed. They say they interviewed the participants to gauge their personality types but what did they ask in these interviews?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:30 am

Wow.

How much money to discover, yet again, that humans are weird?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

Janissy wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I wish they had broken down or explained the personality descriptions more, as you did. They say that left wing women who had recently participated in protests were a particular group that absolutely refused to hurt with shocks. Obviously these women (and anybody else who refused) disagreed with authority but is disagreeing with authority and disagreeing with other people the same as being "not nice"? It is if you call "nice" simply the act of social propriety and keeping up appearances. But not if you call "nice" the act of making things better for others. Depending on how you use words like "nice" and "agreeable", a nice and agreeable person could be politely cruel like Dolores Umbridge or helpful and kind like Dumbledore.

I wish they had gone into more detail about how they came to the judgements of "agreeable" and "nice". They probably did in the full article but I couldn't access it. The way it seems in this article, the person who would give a sandwich to a homeless person is also the most likely to go along with painfully shocking that same homeless person if told to do so. But the person who would give a sandwich to a homeless person in cities where that is illegal (as it is in some cities) would be the least likely to painfully shock them.

It all hinges on what went into deciding a person is "agreeable" or "disagreeable". I wish that data could be accessed. They say they interviewed the participants to gauge their personality types but what did they ask in these interviews?

I've run into so many people who insist that the appearance of being nice is more important than anything else, and these people have nearly always been passive aggressive, or covertly aggressive (not sure there's a significant difference), etc. Like the comparison to Umbridge was deliberate, although she is an extreme example.

I don't really see Dumbledore as "nice" because to me "nice" seems to describe a superficial attitude rather than a genuine concern for others. I realize not everyone may view this the same way.

I don't think they're describing people who would give a sandwich to a homeless person as being "nice." Those are people they describe as being willing to sacrifice their reputation to act in a moral and just way toward others. For example, in some cities in the US, they've made it illegal to feed people in public to stop groups like food not bombs as well as individuals who make a point of feeding homeless people in parks and such. These aren't people who are "nice" these are people who care about others, and prefer to act in a moral and just way.

So I am not sure where your confusion is coming from in that regard.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:52 am

Before I finish my story, let me let you down and say I eventually caved in.

At work I had an issue with a test for a military product, saying it doesn't pass. Nobody else wanted me to do so. I went to see a lawyer about what are the consequences. I researched what was this word 'perjury'. In a meeting, somebody called me 'paranoid'. I never had any psychology classes, so I thought I better go Google that word. And then that was the second time I came across this phrase ...

Asperger's Syndrome

and of course I Googled that out of curiosity. One thing lead to another, and here I am.

What was stated in that report doesn't surprise me at all. Pack mentality of NTs. Mind you, pack mentality can be good: A pack of wolves can take down much bigger game than a solitary wolf. A pack of meerkats stand a much better chance than the sole meerkat.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:03 am

Waterfalls wrote:
Maybe for us, being out of step IS the norm.

I think this is true. I am told that I have an unusual approach to the hierarchy at work. They like to give me analytical stuff for the partners because I ask them straightforward questions and express views without trying to make them happy.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:37 am

It is assumed that a person is either one or the other...agreeable or disagreeable and antisocial. This is either/or and is inaccurate thinking. It is possible to be both....

I can be disagreeable and contrary in some situations (those that offend me morally) and agreeable in others (if it doesn't hurt anyone, including myself, what the hell, I'll go along with it for the sake of being friendly or nice).

This is like my therapist thinking that someone is either logical or empathic...um it is possible to have the capacity for both but to use them at different times depending on which skill is most needed...!

Interesting article though, I have always found the Milgram study interesting.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

I don't think they're saying everyone is either/or all or nothing.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

Verdandi wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I've run into so many people who insist that the appearance of being nice is more important than anything else, and these people have nearly always been passive aggressive, or covertly aggressive (not sure there's a significant difference), etc. Like the comparison to Umbridge was deliberate, although she is an extreme example.

I don't really see Dumbledore as "nice" because to me "nice" seems to describe a superficial attitude rather than a genuine concern for others. I realize not everyone may view this the same way.

I don't think they're describing people who would give a sandwich to a homeless person as being "nice." Those are people they describe as being willing to sacrifice their reputation to act in a moral and just way toward others. For example, in some cities in the US, they've made it illegal to feed people in public to stop groups like food not bombs as well as individuals who make a point of feeding homeless people in parks and such. These aren't people who are "nice" these are people who care about others, and prefer to act in a moral and just way.

So I am not sure where your confusion is coming from in that regard.

Nice does not always mean agreeable. Do you really think it is nice to let someone carry on doing something that is hurting them because you don't want to offend society and its belief systems by not speaking up against it, especially if that something is a socially acceptable behaviour.

Take worthlessness for example...do I really have to condone a belief system that is ripping peoples psyches apart and which could be easily changed if society were willing to change it? It is also a belief system that is a breeding ground for prejudice and discrimination. If you devalue a life by seeing it as worthless then it justifies the creul treatment of that life..and that is something I abhor.

Regardless of my anger and occassional vent about humans due to years of abuse from them that was not deserved at all, (is anyone really deserving of abuse??), I actually dislike seeing harm coming to any living critter and a disturbed to the point of having nightmares (sometimes) when I come across it.

Yet I am not allowed to speak up about my dislike of such a way of thinking without being accussed of being difficult, disagreeable or thinking my self perfect or superior...some bollocks related to heirarchy anyway.

I don't think I am being nice by not speaking up against such a hideous belief system..and it is if you thinking about it...it shows a complete disrepect for life and as pointed out above keeps the abuse, discrimination and prejudice in the world going. It is kind of repugnant really.

All those souls tearing themselves up over something that man made up becuaes he is a judgemental prick that thinks (that as a species) he understand more than he really does.

The human ego has a lot to answer for.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:51 am

Verdandi wrote:
I don't think they're saying everyone is either/or all or nothing.

It seems to be classifying people as either agreeable or disagreeable.