Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 3:10 pm

I have been working as a clerical intern (fancy name for file girl in training) for about six weeks after finishing high school. They only give me 5 hours a week, for which I get $40 collectively. It's not enough to do anything with. I mainly use it to buy underwear and get takeout when my parents won't pay for it. My boss is implying that I should become a Medical Assistant (it's a doctor's office) which I don't want to do, as I am [very reluctantly] going to attend CC for theatre in the hopes of becoming an actress at any level (fame preferred of course but local notability or something would be okay I guess.) I am worried that my Theatre degree, which I hope to finish BFA at some other school ASAP will not get me a job with a large salary. But, I would be happy to have at least enough to rent an apartment of any size and have a bus pass (I cannot drive yet :( ) so I don't need to make a lot. But I am not getting hired anywhere at all from not passing the online job psych eval (and they say (doesn't discriminate against disabled!) so I took this job from people I know just to have a job for my resume or whatever.

However, I do not think I will want to work while full time at Community College because I plan to relax with my computer in the library as much as needed to avoid my family and tell them to pick me up late. Free time is very essential to my well being and I often get suicidal without it.

Any thoughts?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
But I am not getting hired anywhere at all from not passing the online job psych eval (and they say (doesn't discriminate against disabled!) so I took this job from people I know just to have a job for my resume or whatever.

However, I do not think I will want to work while full time at Community College because I plan to relax with my computer in the library as much as needed to avoid my family and tell them to pick me up late. Free time is very essential to my well being and I often get suicidal without it.

I would keep the job for sure. It will look great on your resume no matter what you're applying for and it's good experience. If you want to quit when school starts decide then, but for now, keep it. It's not a huge burden on your time and you get some spending money.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2014, 4:39 pm

Forget about acting and theatre. It is an impossible way of life.
Keep working at your job. It is boring at first, but after a while, you find something that interests you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 4:54 pm

I don't think you should quit your job.

I think you should go to school for acting.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm

ok wrote:
Keep working at your job. It is boring at first, but after a while, you find something that interests you.

Not nice!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
ok wrote:

Not nice!

I once listened to Robert Redford tell a small group of student actors that 90 percent of actors don't earn enough money from their acting to pay the gasoline that it takes to drive themselves to the theatre every night. Another 9 percent earn a reasonable living, but are constantly mailing resumes and headshots just to stay afloat. The remaining 1 percent earn $20 million per job, but end up paying a lot of that to taxes and their support staffs (managers, agents, photographers and other people who do things that the actor doesn't have time to do). "So," he said, "be very prepared to hate your career as much as you want to love it."

When I worked with hundreds of Sundance celebs, I was surprised how many of them (especially the successful ones) had college degrees in business, English, fine art and had worked as secretaries, nurses and teachers before they ever got into acting.

So, the invitation to become a certified medical assistant would help you and put you in the same category of people who end up being very famous actors.

Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 8:23 pm

I would definitely not quit (unless you find a better job, of course) unless the job becomes unsustainable with your schooling. It is much better not to have gaps in your resume, and it is some income, however small. I'm sure your parents appreciate that you can buy some things for yourself, and it gives you more freedom in your spending. Even if you do become a famous actress, it's not going to happen overnight, so you may want to check out the Medical Assistant job if it will bring in more hours and money. In the end, it's only a job. You don't have to like it, as long as you can tolerate it without endangering your mental or physical health.