Hyper empathic NT wanting to know more about ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

GWADIS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2014, 10:49 am

Hi,

I am a "peculiar" neurotypical woman. I am hyper empathic and some people call me an empath, which means - in my case - that I receive information about my environment and the people around me thanks to the emotions that I feel. I am accurate 95% of the time. I am NOT a psychic, even if I wish I was. I guess I developped this ability as a coping mechanism. Since I was a child, I've always felt "weird" and different. I never fit in and I don't want to fit in either. I've been working on myself for a long time and consulted a behavioural psychologist, a hypnotherapist, etc.

I did the test, and my score for ASD was low (15).

I?ve read many comments about NTs, and I feel sorry that Aspies find them superficial, stupid, etc. I am neurotypical but I am honnest/blunt, deep, open-minded, empathic, I try to make people feel comfortable around me, etc. I love my own company, I need a lot of down time, I love books and I dream of builing a library in my house, I don?t understand why people play games while dating, etc. but I am affectionate and I want to share love and affection with a significant affectionate other.

I?ve been reading posts on this forum since I got closer to a fellow tango dancer who I suspect has Asperger's syndrom.

I am here to learn about diversity and understand my new friend better. I can feel that he is afraid. He never told me about Asperger?s and I don?t know if he knows anything about it. What it?s important for me is that I make him feel comfortable and he stays himself. I am also being myself with him, even if I usually scare men away because of my ability to read and feel them. I never told any man about my « gift ».

Thank you for all the valuable information you are sharing on this forum.

PS : English is not my mother tongue.

This deeper form of empathy requires patience and emotional awareness, but it also requires a basic trust in people?s ability to deal with conflict and to listen closely to their own emotions. And this deep form of empathy doesn?t look like niceness, K. M

Last edited by GWADIS on 12 Jul 2014, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WilFindUndrstndng
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

I commend you for learning about ASD (and trying to understand your friend and yourself.) You're right in that -- you just hafta be yourself and allow others to be themselves.

It sounds like you're being patient :).

I'm glad you've found this site helpful. (I have, too.)

Good luck

GWADIS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm

Thank you WilFindUndrstndng. Yes, I am patient.

This deeper form of empathy requires patience and emotional awareness, but it also requires a basic trust in people?s ability to deal with conflict and to listen closely to their own emotions. And this deep form of empathy doesn?t look like niceness, K. M

WilFindUndrstndng
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2014, 1:47 am

:D

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm

I have a friend who is a lot like you. Welcome to WP. :D

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

I have an Autism spectral disorder. That's how I'm registered on this site. Is that what you meant by ASD? Do you have any specific questions? If you have specific questions, then you could get lots of different answers and perspectives from people on this site.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 7:33 pm

Welcome to WP. It's nice to see NTs who are interested in learning more about us. :) I'm a bit more on the NT side of the spectrum myself, mainly due to years of having to adapt and put up with things, but I'm still an aspie at my very core, and I've had to accept that there's no changing it.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

hi

GWADIS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jul 2014, 1:33 pm

Thank you everyone fow your warm welcome.

@ Noodler: Yes, I meant Austistic spectrum disorder, because I've read that Aspergers's syndrom was related to it. I also understand there's a slight difference between Autistic people and Apsies who seem to seek more social interactions.