Why is cannibalism a taboo topic? What makes taboo topics?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kyethra
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2007, 4:37 pm

So I have lists of certain topics I am not allowed to bring up in certain places/situations because its inappropriate because other people might get offended for some reason. Now I think cannibalism is an interesting subject (and especially how it relates to mad cow, but in general too) so its something I feel inclined to bring up from time to time. But it keeps getting on more and more lists of topics I'm not allowed to bring up. I'm not allowed to bring it up if I go to a church (in the church (esp during communion) or after church), not when people talk about food, even if it is something like grinding hamburgers, not when people are eating, not when violent video games are discussed, not in the mall, etc. One friend says I'm pretty much not supposed to bring it up ever.

I'm also not supposed to bring up Silence of the Lambs when I go shopping even if there are lots of pictures of half naked people. And I even sort of get that one. I'm not supposed to talk about polygammy in certain places, including Utah according to my husband. It seems like the lists just keep getting longer and longer. And I know NTs can be really easily offended sometimes but I just don't get why. I mean what makes topics that are taboo, taboo? Who decides this? And how is supposed to know, other than asking NTs? Is there anyway? And I know we aren't supposed to offen them for a variety of reasons-- sometimes I don't always know, remember, or care about the reasons, but I honestly get that and I really do want to be good.

I just don't get why we can't about interesting things.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 4:43 pm

FYI - polygamy in Utah is taboo only under certain circumstances.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 4:50 pm

Having spent so many years conforming to what others taught me not to speak of in public, I am now rebelling and have to say, it feels much better to have my freedom of speech back. I don't care anymore what anyone thinks I should and should not talk about in this and that place. I have kind of got a view now that if others have a problem with me as I am, they are not compatible with me anyway.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 5:05 pm

Anything that makes people feel, think or causes them to reconsider their current belief system......This would incude those beliefs systems most strongly ingrained...religion,politics,ethics,sex,death...and mosy likely to be based on irrational foundations.People who construct their house out of straw do not like a strong(but cleansing)wind,people with houses built on sand can not tolerate the weakest earthquakes.......thats why people talk about the weather,Britney Spears haircut,latest episode of American Idol.The onl way most humans can tolerate being with other humans is by pretending that they are from the same tribe...conversations that expose "differences" is likely to get you kicked out of the pack.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2007, 5:08 pm

Krex, well said.

We NTs love to talk about ourselves, or kids, our hobbies, etc. If you're groping for a "safe" topic, the best way to discover such a topic is to ask the person you are conversing with about themselves and see if you can feign interest in something they mention to carry you along. Ask questions and listen is usually a good strategy.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2007, 5:53 pm

cannibalism can cause disease, so can inbreeding, they're taboo because that has become a mechanism of social evolution, a social culling method

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2007, 6:28 pm

I've been told not to discuss politics, religion, euthanasia, abortion and a whole list of things. I also used to talk about cannibalism whenever the topic of roman catholic communion came up. I also don't get why it's taboo.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 6:53 pm

As far as transubstantiation (or even cosubstantiation) go, the thought of canibalism has crossed my mind once or twice. I try to tell myself it's symbolic so I don't dwell on it.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 6:59 pm

I so agree with you all. I don't understand why people say we have freedom of speech, when we can't even say whats interesting to us. I guess NTs don't want to learn anything new!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 7:08 pm

I let the "taboo" crap just go over my head. What drives me nuts are the noobs that bring up the subject in the first place, give their opinion and ask for yours and when it's different, they act like you insulted their mother.
This happened repeatedly at my husband's last job. I think it was a strong factor in why he was laid off. He was a better, very ethical worker. But they were always trying to feel him out and ask his opinion and then get all bent out of shape when he disagreed with them or sounded intelligent. They were old-fashioned, sexist and cliqueish.
He could actually see their mouths drop and they'd shut up and walk away.

There are some good guidelines. I mean talking about anything "gross" (bodily functions and graphic situations) during eating is a good taboo. Giving out graphic personal information to strangers and acquaintances is another taboo. But banning whole topics is ridiculous.

Of course, I'm talking about social functions and not work.

Tanz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2007, 7:36 pm

I learned a long time ago that my opinions make people uncomfortable or make them think, and apparently either is a bad choice, so I keep them to myself even when those around me bring up topics I have given tons of thought to.

My family is the only exception; we are allowed to discuss anything UNLESS it contradicts their religious beliefs. Everything else is fair game, including cannibalism.

Curiously, I have recently discovered that although my opinions go against what the media portrays as the norm, often people around me mirror what I think and then I do talk about it ands explain my reasons. One case in point is the Euthanasia thing. The media makes it sound like everyone thinks it is bad, but everyone I know would prefer to go out quickly if they were terminally ill with no chance of recovery, instead of a long, costly decline while suffering. So who exactly thinks it is immoral, except the church?

"Lunch...is on Millie" - Ace Rimmer

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 7:39 pm

kyethra,

I don't know HOW the idea of transsubtantiation EVER came up! A LOT of Catholics don't even KNOW about it, much less believe it. Yet it IS a dogma taught by "the church". As for the idea of canabalism there, I don't think they will take kindly to it because you are questioning and defauling their beliefs and "the word of god".

Frankly, if the Bible is even 1% real, I believe that this was an indication of prophetic allegory. If it happened, I believe that the idea was that he was saying "You know those two goats that you were supposed to keep and one took away your sins by being released and the other was a feast? Well, you will see me leave, but here is symbolism of the sacrifice! THIS is my body.... This is my blood...".

SUPPOSEDLY the pope is infallible, but such a claim ITSELF is the ultimate sin. To claim infallibility and the right to forgive is tantamount to calling yourself god. I could name LOTS of other errors, but I'll stop now.

Steve

Lo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2007, 7:42 pm

I reckon taboo topics are topics that people are too ashamed, too embarrassed, too afraid or too weirded out to discuss or want to think about or face. Would you agree?

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 8:36 pm

Cannibalism is considered taboo because of people like those gay serial killers who dress up like clowns and whatnot. What makes me upset is when people consider "furries" a taboo topic because their too ret*d to look past stereotypes in the fandom. That horrible program CSI is partly responsible for brainwashing these people into thinking that. I bet many Yerfers (Non-sexual furries like myself) are angry because of this and hold grudges against those who perpetuate stereotypes in the fandom.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 10:44 pm

How does cannabilism relate to mad cow?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm

Mad Cow is contracted by eating meat tainted by Mad Cow, which is stored in the nervous system. I believe that means that Mad Cow is spread from Cows eating infected cows, the meat being fed to them in their feed.