Is it true that in some countries perform routine circumcisi

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

Is it true that in some countries perform routine circumcision.

In Poland, the circumcision is performed only in two cases where it is medically justified or religious reasons (if someone is a Jew or Muslim)

It seems I was circumcised at the age of 4 years, because of phimosis and recurrent bladder infections.

Recently I read that in some countries, circumcision is performed without a valid medical reason, just a fad parents, even for teenagers who do not want to.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

In the USA it became somewhat "standard" practice for many years, or at least assumed to be universally desirable, although there has been a growing movement toward not just assuming the parents want it, I believe. Generations of American male babies mostly had it done for decades though (always some exceptions however, but mostly).

In the UK it's not automatically done as standard, unless for the reasons you have mentioned.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

Pretty much standard in the USA.

I chose not to have my son circumcised, since we're not Jewish and I'm not real big on unnecessary cutting of the body.

I got a few "Thank you!" comments from medical people, as if I had done something really brave...

...and then I found out why, because I also had a lot of people (including pediatricians) tell me about how I was a terrible mother making an unsanitary decision blah-blah-blah.

It's pretty much standard, and by and large seldom questioned.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Pretty much standard in the USA.

I chose not to have my son circumcised, since we're not Jewish and I'm not real big on unnecessary cutting of the body.

I got a few "Thank you!" comments from medical people, as if I had done something really brave...

...and then I found out why, because I also had a lot of people (including pediatricians) tell me about how I was a terrible mother making an unsanitary decision blah-blah-blah.

It's pretty much standard, and by and large seldom questioned.

I've heard that circumcision of boys is also very popular in the USA,
Once I read the story of 14 year old boy whose parents suddenly decided to be circumcised, and did not care that their son did not want to. In place of that boy i would provided myself with a gun, and using the gentle "persuasion" I would give to the understanding of the parent / guardian and the doctor that if you decide to circumcise me against my will, they may get sick on the "acute lead poisoning" :D

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm

I was cut, though it was probably considered standard practice here 20 years ago. I don't know about nowadays, I've never asked anyone.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

It was so widespread in the US when I was younger that I went my entire high school career without ever seeing anyone who wasn't circumcised in the showers after gym class.

Wasn't until I got to college where I had guys from Ireland on the track team with me.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

pawelk1986, that fourteen year old boy you read about is probably a very rare case in the US. Most American boys are circumcised as newborn babies if they are ever going to be circumcised at all. I would think it's very rare for parents who didn't do it to suddenly decide the boy needs it, unless he has phimosis. In which case, it would be a medical necessity even if he were a British or European boy.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
In the USA it became somewhat "standard" practice for many years, or at least assumed to be universally desirable, although there has been a growing movement toward not just assuming the parents want it, I believe. Generations of American male babies mostly had it done for decades though (always some exceptions however, but mostly).

And from what I have read for America it seems to have its origins in Victorian believes around certain issues.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 1:57 pm

it's all too prevalent here in the states.
i'm uncut though, and i'm very thankful for that. i may have phimosis but i'd rather have that than have a part of my body missing. i'm hispanic 2nd gen immigrant and the circumcision rates in this ethnicity are lower than the average.

if i ever have a son, i'll make sure nobody is coming the f*** near his foreskin.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 5:07 am

Around here its not usually, unless its not done out of religion or medical reasons. I heard one time a woman argumenting, that she would have liked her son to be circumcised, because she thought it would look nicer. I simply imagined hearing that the opposite way, about a father argumenting that he want his newborn daughter to have one of that vaginal beauty operations, that are existing, "because of him thinking that her vagina would look nicer that way to him." O_o

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm

^what country are you in?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.