Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

Not sure whether this belongs here, or in The Haven. Anyway, here it goes:

Me and my former girlfriend met one year ago, on this site. It was a long distance relationship, but we skyped, and were both very happy.
Her mom told/convinced her to break up with me, because I'm not close enough to her, and because I don't have enough money to visit her.
It was really sudden, because we both enjoyed talking to each other on Skype, the night before.
She's 19 years old, and I'm sure we could have stayed together, if she really wanted to. But I guess she didn't.

So, we decided that we could still be friends, only now, I'm not sure I can do that.
I'm just too disappointed, and it feels like a poor consolation.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions?

That world will cease to be

- Miraak's Mantra

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

Vertex wrote:
I'm sure we could have stayed together, if she really wanted to. But I guess she didn't.?

If she was that easily swayed by her mother's opinion, I don't think she wanted to stay with you too badly. She might have shared the same concerns her mother did about the relationship.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2014, 2:56 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
Vertex wrote:
I'm sure we could have stayed together, if she really wanted to. But I guess she didn't.?

If she was that easily swayed by her mother's opinion, I don't think she wanted to stay with you too badly. She might have shared the same concerns her mother did about the relationship.

I figured as much. So, do I remain friends with her, or not?

- Miraak's Mantra

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 2:56 pm

If it was 100% long-distance what exactly is the difference between relationship and friendship? I mean, obviously you can call each other GF and BF, but what is the practical difference? I don't mean to sound insensitive at all, I just don't see it. And if, indeed, there is little difference then perhaps that can help you, since you can carry on more or less the same as before under a different name.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm

FMX wrote:
If it was 100% long-distance what exactly is the difference between relationship and friendship? I mean, obviously you can call each other GF and BF, but what is the practical difference? I don't mean to sound insensitive at all, I just don't see it. And if, indeed, there is little difference then perhaps that can help you, since you can carry on more or less the same as before under a different name.

Good question. There was a big difference, but I'd prefer not to go into specifics. I feel stupid even talking about this.

- Miraak's Mantra

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 6:34 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
Vertex wrote:

If she's that easily swayed by her mother's opinion, I don't think you really want to date her too badly. I'm sure you have that strong of a desire to date her, but an SO who's that easily swayed by outside opinions makes for an unhappy relationship.

I'm one of those people that views "dating" as "searching for a potential spouse," and basically nothing less/other, so my opinion may be totally invalid, but...

I've been the rounds. People who are that easily swayed by outside opinions make for very unpleasant partners in the long run.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm

Another thing with long distance relationships, is that your partner could be sleeping around and you would never know it.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 8:05 pm

I'm sorry about the break up. If you feel comfortable dating Aspergian or Autistic women, then you should find and go to an Autism or Asperger's club in your area and meet them there.

I personally don't think a long-distance relationship would work out for me because you don't get to see your romantic partners in person all the time and it'll cost you lots of money to visit them.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Quote:
"If she's that easily swayed by her mother's opinion, I don't think you really want to date her too badly. I'm sure you have that strong of a desire to date her, but an SO who's that easily swayed by outside opinions makes for an unhappy relationship.

I'm one of those people that views "dating" as "searching for a potential spouse," and basically nothing less/other, so my opinion may be totally invalid, but...

I've been the rounds. People who are that easily swayed by outside opinions make for very unpleasant partners in the long run."

I agree with this. Either she didn't like me that much to begin with, or she's too emotionally immature and changeable for a good relationship, friendship or otherwise.

I think we're done. It's just hard to get out of the habit of talking to her.

- Miraak's Mantra

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 9:52 pm

I hope the OP finds somebody else in due time. he should hold fast to the fact that there is more than one fish in the sea.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2014, 7:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
I hope the OP finds somebody else in due time. he should hold fast to the fact that there is more than one fish in the sea.

Very well put! There are many soul mates out there :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 11:05 am

mattschwartz01 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Very well put! There are many soul mates out there :D

the hard part is finding them.