Is Theodore Kaczynski an Aspie? what about Zodiac killer?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 4:46 pm

Quest_techie wrote:
zodiac knew more about cryptography than astronomy

building relativly unbreakable cipher for one time use with a -small cross section of text- isn't that hard, but very few people could actually do it, crypto is a niche interest, I've only encountered probably 10 people who really give a damn about it at all

Aw heck, **I**'ve done THAT! And it was a rotating cipher, so letter frequency analysis or cracking a given word would have been little to no help. It wasn't hard to setup/cipher/decipher, but it WOULD be very hard to crack. Using multiple passes, foreign languages, reversals, etc... Would make it practically impossible. BTW it wasn't really an interest for me. Any IDIOT knows that the 2 biggest failings of ciphers are letter frequency and progressive cracking. Prevent those, and an easy cipher could be frustrating to crack to say the least!

I DID try(For perhaps a day or so) to break a VERY old cipher done by someone that wasn't known for doing such things. I didn't crack it. Oh well, perhaps millions have tried for over a hundred years, and I never heard of it being cracked. Well, one page was partially cracked(in the mid 70s) that had promise, but it didn't help.

I ALSO studied ciphers for some ecommerce work I did. I wanted to make a near unbreakable cipher. Even the FBI may have trouble with THAT. Then again, it IS a multipass rotating butchered hashed key with 192 bit rjindael. EVEN if they DID manage to crack one record, which is unlikely, it would be little help in breaking others!

AGAIN, this isn't an interest for me!

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Feb 2007, 7:49 pm

The old TV program "Unsolved Mysteries" theorised that the Zodiac and the Unabomber were the same person. But an expert said its unlikely a person that kills eye to eye would change to kill remotely.

Quote:
ZODIAC / UNABOMBER – 13:54 – A generation ago the Zodiac killer terrorized Northern California, striking a random, taunting police and taking at least five lives. Now there is speculation the Zodiac killer and the Unabomber might actually be the same person.

http://www.unsolved.com/dvd_info_bizarre.html

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:55 pm

Can we really say that we know much about the Zodiac killer? He was never caught.

Though some people say Charles Manson may have been him (but then, they say a lot of people could have been him)

andrew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2007, 12:00 am

SteveK wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
Socially awkward? YIKES!? NOPE!! !! !! People consider him a PSYCHOPATH! Were the interests REALLY that intense? He seemed nuts, and wanted to be noticed. He didn't seem aspie at all!

What is this anyway? It seems like people come out point to some supposedly unusual intelligence, and yell HE'S GOT AS!?

Steve

I seem nuts and people say I want people to notice me. In a strange way I do, but I dont tell people. He did from the brief reading I have done.

Zodiac was aswell. He fits the character of being an outcast of society who was unhappy being different