girlfriend is afraid of letting her mom know about us

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

should i move on if she still refuses to let her mom know about our relationship
YES 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
NO 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

hyroller4life
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2014, 11:34 pm

My girlfriend is afraid of letting her mom know about us>>should i move on?

me and my girlfriend is together for 2 years and 6 months now shes in college.. i am 21 and she's 19 and i really love her but the biggest problem im having is freedom with her..we cant go out much.. we cant act as if we in a serious relationship she says she afraid of letting her mom know and its very painful for me ....she says she afraid of how her mother will react ... i ask her if she really love us to stick together she says yes but she cant tell her mom anything and its so painful that i just want to let go because i feel like if she really love me she would talk with her mom no matter how hard it is... i seriously dont know what to do anymore.............can someone help me????????

Meril
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2014, 11:48 pm

That is a tricky subject. Maybe ask her why . That is a long time not to meet someone's parents. Just don't give her an ultimatum.

hyroller4life
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2014, 11:53 pm

i have given her a week to be mature up and make the decision either to try and talk with her mom ive explained to her that i really love her and i just want her to try and talk with her mom if she doesn't approve our relationship i will still stay with her and i wont give up but if she doesnt even give an effort to try with her mom i will know she doesn't really want us to be together and i will have no choice but to move on

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 12:09 am

She is an adult her mom can't tell her who she can and can't be with. Perhaps her mom still runs her life and she doesn't want to get her all upset and have to deal with it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:35 am

League_Girl wrote:
She is an adult her mom can't tell her who she can and can't be with. Perhaps her mom still runs her life and she doesn't want to get her all upset and have to deal with it.

she's not an adult until she doesn't have to rely on her mom for tuition and or loan co-signage.

You are very likely an Aspie

StrangeG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2014, 5:11 am

It sounds like everybody involved hasn't quite transitioned to the new roles yet. It's a broader issue than just how it affects your love life. How is she going to live her life without making her own choices?

It's easy to say she should just tell her mom, but you shouldn't try to make that decision for her any more than her mom should decide who she dates. Encourage her, build her confidence, and suggest other ways she can assert her independence. If she can't jump right into asserting her right to decide who she dates, she may be able to work up to it by demonstrating she can make other adult decisions for herself.

If mom still does her laundry, she can start by doing her own laundry. A 19 year old should have no trouble doing their own cooking and cleaning, and these things can form a bit part of a mother's impression of maturity.