Does anyone here "Work-From-Home" or have a Remote

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

steppinthrax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

I've been working in the IT field for a number of years now. I'm doing fairly well (salary wise), however, I'm getting to the point where I can't bear the people BS. The current job I have has some work-from-home capability where I've worked from home for a week or so. I enjoyed it and I found that I was more productive since I didn't have to worry about office politics and people antics. Does anybody here do this?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

18 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

I have been working out of my garage since october for pritty much the same reasons. Cannot believe I am keeping my head above water. If I have to work for someone again, I might have to shoot myself. It really screwed my head up. For me, and the industry I have mastered, working for someone else again would be a punishment that is worse than death.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm

steppinthrax wrote:
I've been working in the IT field for a number of years now. I'm doing fairly well (salary wise), however, I'm getting to the point where I can't bear the people BS. The current job I have has some work-from-home capability where I've worked from home for a week or so. I enjoyed it and I found that I was more productive since I didn't have to worry about office politics and people antics. Does anybody here do this?

I wish I could do it more often.
I was more productive in the 3 hours I worked from home last night than I was the whole week.
No telephone chatter, people mumbling to themselves, loud flip flops walking by (pretty sure those are against the dress code, too), printers humming, bottles and mugs thumping on desks... the slurping sounds that one PM makes when finishing a drink... for like an hour, that guy down the hall who always uses speakerphone and whose telephone ring is set on the highest setting...

Seriously, it's sooooo distracting.
It's kinda sad when my two young boys are less distracting than an office full of adults, if they were at school, I'm sure my productivity would have been even higher.

I know I need my users, they're kinda why I'm here, but, when I'm trying to test some schema changes, my concentration is a LITTLE broken up by someone popping their head over my cube wall, asking for yet another reminder on how to clear their cache.

But, again, it's not something the bosses want to encourage, because then everyone will want to do it or something? maybe they fear it will reduce collaboration, or productivity, or something? I don't know.