Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

IHeartDrSeuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2014, 10:34 pm

Its been a few months since my previous psychiatrist diagnosed me with ADHD and said she wanted to test me for asperger's syndrome. Due to financial reasons and also being in a fair bit of denial, I switched psychiatrists to someone who prefers not to diagnose adults. He says that I do present with all the symptoms needed for diagnosis but he's very happy to just give me a memo stating that I am suspected to be on the spectrum. We have no disability benefits or legal protection for people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities in my country. I'm only worried that healthcare providers won't take my phobias and anxieties seriously without a diagnosis which has, in the past caused me to become unable to communicate verbally and combative. My parents were young first time parents who didn't raise me until I was 6, so they don't have any developmental history which is the reason my psychiatrist says there's no way to give a definite diagnosis. My grandparents who cared for me from birth to 6 are all dead so all my history is gone. My psychiatrists says that for healthcare, a memo from him saying I have suspected ASD, have a strong preoccupation with fear of needles and can become nonverbal and combative shod suffice. I'm just wondering do I go on and push for a diagnosis or just leave it at that.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 11:19 pm

if the doc says the memo will be good, i'd trust that. by the way, i also have a fear of needles. it's not the pain. it's the idea of being invaded. i find i don't mind as much if blood is drawn from the hands. the closer the needle gets to the center of me, the worse it is.

IHeartDrSeuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2014, 11:25 pm

Cathylynn, omg that's the same! I hate the spooky pressure and it hurts me a lot. My skin also 'remembers' by sending the sensations through it randomly. I absolutely cannot have needs near the centre of my body. Its still bad further away from me but not as bad. I feel invaded anyway as long as its someone who isn't on my 'allowed list' touching me.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:13 am

good to know i'm not alone.

IHeartDrSeuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2014, 7:23 am

Me too. I just started the Wilbager(?) Brushing protocol to deal with the sensations. Its not been sanctioned by an OT or supervised by one, but it helped stave off quite a few panic attacks from the sensations. Its probably not OT approved but eh, it works.