Study; how religion affects the minds of children

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

creation and science can and do coexist. it did for thousands of years. it still does.

I believe in god. I also follow and love science. there are many creation scientists. they have invented things and figured things out.
being a scientist doesn't mean you can't believe in god, believing in god doesn't mean you can't be a scientist.

this is one of the false beliefs that bothers me most about you atheists.

you think the stories are fake, great good for you, what if in 50 years it turns out you were wrong?

both atheist and super Christians take the book too literally . those two groups are perfect for each other. If I could only take both and stick them on a island somewhere, the rest of us could live our lives in peace.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Ectryon wrote:
...The reality is that the biblical figure purposefully set out to reform a legal political social and even economic system that had persisted for thousands of years....

You have no idea what you're talking about. He only wanted to reform Judaism because it had been warped by the Roman occupation. The Romans placed their own handpicked people into priest and political positions and paid them really well not to make waves. Jesus resisted occupation, not traditional Judaism, which he is said to have said specifically he didn't want to reform the law.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:45 pm

For some reason Jewish religious training does not make the kids stupid.

Actually some intensive training is Talmudic Reasoning can increase ones mathematical performance.

ruveyn

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:45 pm

AspE wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
...The reality is that the biblical figure purposefully set out to reform a legal political social and even economic system that had persisted for thousands of years....

You have no idea what you're talking about. He only wanted to reform Judaism because it had been warped by the Roman occupation. The Romans placed their own handpicked people into priest and political positions and paid them really well not to make waves. Jesus resisted occupation, not traditional Judaism, which he is said to have said specifically he didn't want to reform the law.

Jesus resisted both occupation and the old order of things. The whole point of the crucifixion was to eradicate the Jewish Legal system making him a direct conduit to God. That is extremely radical. You could argue that this was a fulfillment of the law but that doesn't detract from the radicalism of the idea.

The Jewish system was all encompassing to the extent that it had a stranglehold on everything. Jesus' vision was to do away with notions of Goyim and Gentiles upon which Judaism had been predicated ("chosen people").

My argument doesnt address why he wanted to reform Judaism but to point out how he set about doing so. The temple hierachy was corrupt yes, religion had become hollow yes but im not interested in that. What im getting at is the fact that the Christ figure is just as much a political revolutionary as he is a spiritual figure.

I did take a liberty inferring that he set out to create a breakaway movement but I believe it to be fair since he would have been aware that Judaism would never "fall". He would have to create a sect

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 7:10 am

sly279 wrote:
creation and science can and do coexist. it did for thousands of years. it still does.

I believe in god. I also follow and love science. there are many creation scientists. they have invented things and figured things out.
being a scientist doesn't mean you can't believe in god, believing in god doesn't mean you can't be a scientist.

this is one of the false beliefs that bothers me most about you atheists.

I know a lot of atheists in my field (myself included), but none who believe that belief in God and science are mutually exclusive. A literal interpretation of parts of the Bible and some scientific fact can be mutually exclusive, though. You cannot be an astrophysicist and a YEC. You cannot be an geneticist who does not believe in evolution because of your literal interpretration of Genesis. You cannot be a global geophysicist and think Noah's ark is literal and true.

Most atheists in science only have a problem with religion when it causes a scientist to turn into a "scientist."

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm

sonofghandi wrote:

I know a lot of atheists in my field (myself included), but none who believe that belief in God and science are mutually exclusive.

I believe they are mutually exclusive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-st ... 79022.html

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 8:14 am

AspE wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

I know a lot of atheists in my field (myself included), but none who believe that belief in God and science are mutually exclusive.

There are plenty of credible scientists who are Christians. Although none who are Biblical literalists.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

sonofghandi wrote:
AspE wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

There are plenty of credible scientists who are Christians. Although none who are Biblical literalists.

To be fair I have heard of one, can't remember his name, but apparently the guy who invented the MRI scanner is a YEC! Though obviously the disciplines of physics/electrical engineering don't tend to overlap with those of geology and evolutionary biology. So while he may be an expert in some scientific fields he is clearly very ignorant of other areas.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

A video recently uploaded to YouTube showing what could be described as child abuse has gained some attention. Warning: disturbing content.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjY3_vjsn8[/youtube]

Published on Jul 25, 2014
Evangelical Christians around the globe are increasingly holding large children's revivals where they practice a disturbing ritual called "anointing by the holy spirit," "being slain by the holy spirit," "catching the holy ghost," or "falling out."

It is intimidating, physically coercive, deeply stressful, and emotionally manipulative. Children are under tremendous pressure to cooperate, to mimic the adults' bizarre behaviors, and to avoid being judged unworthy, disappointing, or worse, under satan's spell.

The older children and teens are under great peer pressure to fit in. The youngest simply don't understand they're supposed to fall over. Their purity and honesty shines through.

Most are acting, consciously or subconsciously, feeling anxiety and guilt long afterward for not having the "genuine" experience they imagine the rest are surely having. Others are infected by the contagion of mass hysteria, a temporary insanity driven by the shouting, the music, and the cacophony of adults "speaking in tongues" (glossolalia) -- meaningless babbling with the same origin as the toppling over.

The preachers, of course, are paid for results.

What kind of belief system must force itself on children, long before they are able to understand and decide for themselves?

It is child abuse and should not be permitted.

Copyright Bo Gardiner 2014