Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Deskitteh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2014, 6:25 pm

So I'm 17 and Aspergers/HFA. I dunno which.
I have this problem.
So I have a social life, and a school, and hopes for a new job.
Even still, there's this thing I do called "vegging" (vegetables in a pot) where I put a blanket over my computer and play Skyrim or some other first person action RPG game, which, in it's current state, is either a dying Genre or one that has the specifications of a Ferrari and only a handful of competent engineers.
It's fun. Really really fun. Heart racing, magic trance fun. Sit in your room and steam like a pot of vegetables for hours fun. Despite my various endeavors, be they simply cohabitation with snakes (my sister and her dogs), trying to maintain friends, or school, I only really want to sit under a blanket and play Skyrim.

Now here's the issue. I can blow six hours doing that at a time, lose the sense of where I am, what I'm doing. Be it fun as it is, it's kind of like striking oil, and Skyrim is only so big and so vast before it's gone and boring. It's fleeting is what I'm going at here. More so, I'm seventeen and I need to man up and get a life or I'm going to end up like my two best friends, also ASD, who are both 20 and living in their parents house- with absolutely no want or wish in the world. They're like living dead people, nothing is new. I can't talk to them. Nothing's happening. I would hate to be them, be they best friends or not, and honestly, I'm teeter-tottering on the line between "I hate myself for enjoying that which I find fun" and "I wish I could sit here forever, I need to blame [Insert here] for this problem", and I wish I wasn't.
If it isn't Skyrim, it's YouTube, 4chan and whatever else, and I need to do work or my life is over from here.
How do I live with myself not enjoying anything, but also make sure I get what needs to get done done?
:(

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:35 pm

Realize that in order to be able to steam at all you're going to have to earn money to have a place to steam. This isn't an all-or-nothing that you're making it out to be, it's not 'never' enjoying yourself. It's not even necessarily not enjoying yourself when you're doing other things either.

Poor motivation

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

Deskitteh wrote:
How do I live with myself not enjoying anything, but also make sure I get what needs to get done done?
:(

You don't. As was mentioned, it's not all or nothing. You have to find a balance. Set an alarm clock & give yourself a 2 hour block of time to burn on Skyrim, then go do something else you need to get done. Or reward yourself with vegging.. i.e. for every shift of work you put in at a job that earns you money to get by in life, perhaps you reward yourself with an hour of vegging time. Or any other system that works for you and allows you to keep a balance between what you need to get done and what you want to do.

Saphie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm

cavernio wrote:
Realize that in order to be able to steam at all you're going to have to earn money to have a place to steam. This isn't an all-or-nothing that you're making it out to be, it's not 'never' enjoying yourself. It's not even necessarily not enjoying yourself when you're doing other things either.

yup.. priorities, and making lists of them. and list schedules(and/or visual).
maybe start out slow, with incorporating it into the day by an hour at a time. and setting a phone sound or computer interruption if you go steaming first(that way you wont likely pass the hour up without knowing it.(phone sound is best in my case, because the direct interruptions (like computer or power outages or battery dieing) disorient me for a few moments).