Is sharing a drink considered flirting?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 7:56 am

If someone you're on a first meet-up with asked you if he/she can have a sip of your drink would it be considered flirting?
If you're not interested in them romantically and you let them, would you be sending a wrong signal?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:08 am

My guess would be yes. It doesn't always, but it would designate closeness to me.(family or friend).

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:27 am

What's the best way to handle that situation if you don't want to be rude and appear germophobic but don't want them to have wrong ideas either?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:30 am

Not really, most people are simply reckless when it comes to germs.

If that's true then all my female friends are flirting me. :lol:

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:47 am

It seems a bit too forward for someone you met for the first time to ask that, don't you think?
I only ask family members if I can have a taste of their drink.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

Not all are like you and me.

I have a friend who likes to taste every drink/cocktail/juice/icecream I order since day 1 and she has a fiancee.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 9:06 am

Your friend is annoying lol

My drink was rather unique so maybe I can say he had a legitimate reason to want to taste it.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 9:26 am

I'm mildly germophobic, but since alcohol kills germs, I'm not as fussy about sharing an alcoholic beverage as I would be about sharing something else with someone I just met.

Seems like everyone I've hung out with in the last 10-15 years (since I moved back to CO) is in the habit of sharing/tasting whatever else anyone at the table might have, especially if it's out of the ordinary (not just drinks, but food, too).

I don't recall this practice being that common where I was born and raised, and sometimes newcomers to the group (since I've been in CO) are a little taken aback at the idea, so it's obviously not universal.

So......kinda hard to say if it was flirting or not. I almost feel like *offering* a taste would be more flirtatious than asking for a taste. Or either could just be friendliness or curiosity.....

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 9:56 am

It wasn't an alcoholic drink I was having though.

This guy tried to kiss me so I'm trying to figure out what I did to give him the idea that it is ok to do that.
I had zero interest in him physically but since my profile indicates I'm looking for "everyone" for "new friends", I thought it'd be safe to assume it was gonna be just a platonic meeting. I guess he did not pay attention to that part.
So I was more relaxed than usual but I didn't touch him or anything just being friendly and engaging. I did walk him to his car at the end because it was raining and I had an umbrella. (he said I was such a gentleman)

I since added that "I'm looking for platonic friends" to my profile to prevent something like this from happening again.
I know looking for friends on a dating site is frowned upon but it is allowed so I'm gonna try.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

A lot of guys would assume that you want a boyfriend but you don't wanna be too direct about it.
Do you mention on your profile that you are looking for friends of both genders? Because when one when looking for friends shouldn't be gender-specific; otherwise it would be questionable.

When I was on okc; I recall I have seen a lot of women profiles saying "looking for friends" yet they specify gender, age range and marital status (single only) - some even mention what they like in a man and who should message them; I mean come on....who are they fooling?

And It did happen to exchange messages with some of those and from their questions I can assure you that they weren't really seeking for just friends.

So if you are really seeking for just friends, you should make it extra super clear on a *dating* site - like put it in bold or first line in caps - with glowing and flashing effects. :lol:

edit: Ah so you did put "everyone" - you still need the flashing effects. :p

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 20 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

Yuzu wrote:
It wasn't an alcoholic drink I was having though.

This guy tried to kiss me so I'm trying to figure out what I did to give him the idea that it is ok to do that.
I had zero interest in him physically but since my profile indicates I'm looking for "everyone" for "new friends", I thought it'd be safe to assume it was gonna be just a platonic meeting. I guess he did not pay attention to that part.
So I was more relaxed than usual but I didn't touch him or anything just being friendly and engaging. I did walk him to his car at the end because it was raining and I had an umbrella. (he said I was such a gentleman)

I since added that "I'm looking for platonic friends" to my profile to prevent something like this from happening again.
I know looking for friends on a dating site is frowned upon but it is allowed so I'm gonna try.

I feel your pain. I tried the "just looking for friends" thing, and every single guy that contacted me assumed that statement applied to everyone but them. :P