Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:32 am

x: There is so many threads I see against pop culture and the likes and whenever I say something about it, whether it's advocating or against it I seem to be ignored. I don't give two s**ts if someone obsesses over what celebrity did what, in the end it's pretty much the same as when I obsessed about Sonic the Hedgehog or Pokemon. Treating a game character religiously or the games itself and talking about it all the time; isn't it the same as people talking about hollywood? They let us have our obsessions and niches so what's the harm in letting them like what they like?

Really, those talking about anime rumors, voice actors, j-pop singers is basically that but in a different form.

Now here's a thing to suggest; let's hate something worthwhile.

Like animal abuse; really, who likes the thought of poor Fido being beaten and left in a small cage while mainge eats away at his skin and fur and going blind in one eye? That's something we could actually spread awareness about and maybe even donate to local animal rescue shelters and such to help out those less fortunate creatures. Or what about rape? That's something quite heinous and it has a long after-effect on the victim. Sorry if I sound preachy but those are things that hurt and harm while the liking of celebrities doesn't.

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:49 am

Hey, I'm all for hating animal abusers, know any? I'll shoot 'em.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:51 am

My little brother likes to throw the cat and kick the dog. Can you shoot him and do the family a favor? :D

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:58 am

I'll see if I can- talk to some people...

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 9:52 am

MarieElana ,I agree with you on both those points,people who do those things are evil,make no mistake about that.

I dislike popular/celebrity culture and the messages that it portrays through the media but I guess that I'm probably in a minority there.

To be fair some celebrities have used their status to try to make things better such as taking part in anti fur and vivisection campaigns and such like.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:02 am

I agree! I feel angry and sad when I hear stories of animal abuse. I remember two little creeps who killed a cat. The father said, "It's just a cat." I would have liked to rip them all a new one!

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:12 am

There were kids shooting cats in the town next over. However, because the population isn't so great where I am instances like that are rare. It appalls me though; it's one thing to hunt deer and other game but domestic animals are already owned by someone.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:39 am

MarieElana wrote:
x: There is so many threads I see against pop culture and the likes and whenever I say something about it, whether it's advocating or against it I seem to be ignored. I don't give two s**ts if someone obsesses over what celebrity did what, in the end it's pretty much the same as when I obsessed about Sonic the Hedgehog or Pokemon. Treating a game character religiously or the games itself and talking about it all the time; isn't it the same as people talking about hollywood? They let us have our obsessions and niches so what's the harm in letting them like what they like?

Really, those talking about anime rumors, voice actors, j-pop singers is basically that but in a different form.

Now here's a thing to suggest; let's hate something worthwhile.

Like animal abuse; really, who likes the thought of poor Fido being beaten and left in a small cage while mainge eats away at his skin and fur and going blind in one eye? That's something we could actually spread awareness about and maybe even donate to local animal rescue shelters and such to help out those less fortunate creatures. Or what about rape? That's something quite heinous and it has a long after-effect on the victim. Sorry if I sound preachy but those are things that hurt and harm while the liking of celebrities doesn't.

*No comment*

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 1:38 pm

I can't abide cruelty.

My main reason for getting annoyed with celebrity culture is that it detracts from more serious issues, such as cruelty, social inequality and political hypocrisy.

Celebs also tend to teach people to be selfish and image-obsessed, which is harmful.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 2:28 pm

Hmmm, not sure, when we hear about all these bad things happening in the world it usually overshadows the celebrity world. Then again, I live in a pretty small town so I suppose that when that stuff happens it's a big thing to us.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 3:19 pm

Meh, why not choose not to care about pop culture and the evils of the world. It allows for more funness to occur.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 3:24 pm

This girl I knew was at a metal concert, and she found a cat there, and it had a bump in his back. She took it home, and then took it to the vet, and it turns out there was a bullet in his back. :( But then she adopted him! :D

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 5:32 pm

Awww, so the cat ended up all happy in the end C:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 5:58 pm

Arguing about someone's interest is generally pointless. But there are valid reasons to resent and complain about the attention celebrities get. It's an industry where the commodities are humans. Some of the scheduled attention is par for the course (magazine interviews, red carpet photo ops, etc) and is part of promoting Hollywood.
There is the seedier side, though, and that's the paparazzi that chase, harass and create negative photo ops. For instance, blocking someone's way on the sidewalk to make them angry or stressed, blocking their car and then reporting on their poor driving habits. I read a comment the other day about a star that was at the beach and the photographers were litterally blocking her view of the ocean. That's just messed up.
Some of this is shoved down our throats and some of this we willingly eat up and then pronounce judgement. I think the people who are obsessed with these types of interest pieces are just as guilty as the predator photographers when something bad happens.
We don't want people judging us, especially publicly. Why is it okay to do that to a celebrity? The endless fascination leads to distorted news and social norms. (Diet industry, plastic surgery, fashion)

People don't realize how much they have handed over their common sense to the Media, letting them decide what is important and what is even occuring in the world around them.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:42 pm

I hate hatters

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:48 pm

Even Mad Hatters? :o