Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,257
Location: Long Island, New York

17 Sep 2015, 8:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I just saw a blurb on the news that said in the pacific northwest, autism dx's are more common than in the rest of the nation. I wonder why that is. :scratch:


Makes sense why I love the "grunge" movement so much from the 90's.

are grungers are on the spectrum?

There has been a lot of speculation about the most famous grunger Kurt Cobain who who was diagnosed with bi-polar. His wife Courtney Love was diagnosed as autistic as a child. Autism and creatitivity have been linked
http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/08/18/study-link-autism-creativity/20557/


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,953
Location: The Northern Waste

17 Sep 2015, 8:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I just saw a blurb on the news that said in the pacific northwest, autism dx's are more common than in the rest of the nation. I wonder why that is. :scratch:


Makes sense why I love the "grunge" movement so much from the 90's.

are grungers are on the spectrum?


Add that to the list of Conspiracies about Kurt Cobain. I know people try to characterize him as Bipolar, but I secretly think he was ASD, I understand his music a little to well. The "Grunge" movement began in Seattle so I made the Pacific Northwest connection.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,196
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

I need a little more of that aspie creativity :star:



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,734
Location: USA

18 Sep 2015, 12:44 am

As far as minorities go, we really aren't that rare. For example, we are much more numerous than jews.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,196
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Sep 2015, 12:52 am

Ganondox wrote:
As far as minorities go, we really aren't that rare. For example, we are much more numerous than jews.

wow :o I had no idea there were so few.



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,734
Location: USA

18 Sep 2015, 1:37 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
1.6% (right now) are autistic. I would say this only applies to Western countries, as other social structures have different ideas of autistic people.

Similar statistics:
1.5% of the world with red hair
1.65% of the US gay or lesbian
1.7% of the US is muslim

Comparison statistics:
14.1% of the US is black (including black mixed with other races)
50.8% of the US is female (not an actual minority, but a social minority)
0.38% of the US is deaf

Most people know about 300 people well enough to come up with their names and basic contact information. For example, you knew Larry in grade school and he lived in XYZ city at that time. You know Sylvia from the grocery store who rings up your orders.

This means that most of us know around 4 people who are autistic, who have red hair, who is a gay man or lesbian woman, and who is muslim. You may not know it, because you may not know the person well enough to have personal information about it. You probably don't know a deaf person, you definitely know a woman, and you should know about 20 black people.


Of course society is no homogeneous, so whether people you know actually approaches the expected depends greatly on where you live and what social circles you belong to.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Mar 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,687

18 Sep 2015, 9:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
1.6% (right now) are autistic. I would say this only applies to Western countries, as other social structures have different ideas of autistic people. most of us know around 4 people who are autistic, who have red hair, who is a gay man or lesbian woman, and who is muslim. You may not know it, because you may not know the person well enough to have personal information about it. You probably don't know a deaf person, you definitely know a woman, and you should know about 20 black people.

I know one black person, 6 aspies, 3 gay folk, a handful of females including my sister.


See? Pretty accurate! I would imagine some of those populations, like black and gay people, would vary depending on your specific region. For example, I live in a small city that has a higher population of people from the LGBTQ community, so it makes sense that I know a lot of gay people and am acquainted with too many to count. I probably know/am acquainted with 20 people who I know are LGBT or Q. Maybe closer to 30. When I lived in a different city, I knew way more black people than I do now, because the other city had more racial diversity.

As to the Pacific NW...autism rates could be higher in a particular place because it is easier for autistic people to live there, for whatever reason, because there's an autism panic and it's diagnosed more often out of fear, or because it used to draw autistic people a long time ago and their descendants are more likely to be on the spectrum. Or...it might happen because the place is LESS friendly for autistic people, so the negative autistic traits that often bring an official diagnosis are occurring more frequently as a coping mechanism.

I used to teach an Asian and African refugee population. My students would ask me why people in the US are so fat. They seemed to have an idea that Americans were genetically disposed to fatness, especially the poor ones. Of course, that's not true. Americans are fat because we have a terrible diet and don't exercise. Most people who move here from other places gain weight in their first couple of years. America is a place that makes it easy to get fat, so most people experience fatness as a result of living in our culture. In this same way, negative autistic traits could be expressed more often by people who would otherwise blend in, because the environment is geared toward neurotypicals.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,196
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Sep 2015, 6:09 pm

I wonder about the aspie rates in silicon valley also, as well as the research triangle in north Carolina. as for the great northwest it seems like a friendly place for aspies like me, to a certain extent, at least compared to other places I've been such as AZ or TX or SC/DC. part of the Northwest's aspieness has to do with the "elephant in the living room" presence of Redmond's Microsoft Meadow [Northwest's version of palo alto's silicon valley].