Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 8:00 am

My room mate just mentioned that if my other room mate accepts a job he has been offered, they're moving out of state. Facing having to find a new place to live is really freaking me out now. I don't make anywhere near enough money to pay the bills for the house we have now. We're currently renting it from their friend and my room mates have said several times that they're probably going to buy the house from their friend, so I wasn't expecting that they may be moving out anytime soon. I have no idea yet what the time frame is if he does accept this job.

I've never lived on my own. I've lived with my mom until I was 22 and then with friends and I've never gone out looking for a place of my own. The idea of having to do that terrifies me. I'm horrible with bills and I'd probably end up having my water and electricity shut off regularly because I missed payments.

Really really really freaking out over this!! !

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2014, 8:15 am

Understandably worried. It gets a lot easier once you do live on your own. All of my bills are on automatic payments they just happen every month and I don't do a thing, impossible to miss, so don't worry about that one.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2014, 9:03 am

Can't you, or the owner of the house, find new roommates, such that you stay there?

In any case ask your roommates about the timeframe and the owner about whether you have to move out if your roommates move.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 10:45 am

For reoccuring bills such as water, electricity, even rent, set up automatic bill pay.

Saphie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

is there any lease involved?
and for them to terminate their lease before time, it is sometimes required that those moving out, find someone to replace them and take over their lease.
do you pay rent separately? or is it all one payment as a whole. if its seperate, you shouldnt be required to pay more rent than you already are..... the bills tho can be a tough situation tho. whos name is on the bills? if its one of your roomates, they will have to take it out of their name... depending on where you live, there is also laws that sometimes categorizes people who reside in a house for more than a 30 day period, responsible for bills and such, even if there is no paper lease. same goes for if someone wants to kick someone out of their own home, once certain criteria is met, the person would have to goto court to evict the person from their home even tho no lease was created.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2014, 7:53 pm

Paying the bills by yourself shouldn't be a problem. If you only light up your own room, turn off the heating in other rooms, only you use water etc. I think the bills will only be slightly more than your share today.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:54 pm

There's no lease. The owner is good friends with my two room mates and she's just letting us live here while we make the mortgage payment on the house. The plan was that my room mates were going to eventually buy the house from their friend.

I talked to my room mate this morning and there won't be any decisions made for at least 6 months and if they do move, it will be a year from now at the soonest. It's by no means definite that my friend will be taking the job out of state. They really like it here and unless he really likes this new job, they won't move.

It's just the way my friend said it this morning. She said "So Jerod got offered a job in Tennessee, and if he accepts it we're moving!" It really caught me off guard, and once it sank in, I kinda panicked a little.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Saphie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2014, 8:14 pm

thats good that it wont be a sudden thing(if they do).
and i can relate, having things sprung on you like that and almost "out of the blue" and unprepaired for it, it sends me into a panic/denial/refusal type of thing. but as i have time to get used to it and process it, things tend to seem better.