Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

scalisti
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2014, 5:25 am

Anyone have a retail job? I have held a job at a major retailer for more than 10 years. Despite this, I have a degree in Zoology. I probably should have gotten a different degree. My dream goals are mostly where I want to live rather than what I want to do. I prefer to live in the country or out deep in the woods somewhere. This can be difficult since I can't drive and such far out places may require a vehicle. The solution to this would be to live in a small town and work at a local business or retailer within bicycle distance to a rural area. This is what I'm doing now, and I'm glad I finally have that opportunity. Most jobs in the field of Zoology either require vehicle transportation or are in a big city which is why I should have thought better when choosing my degree.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 11:37 pm

I don't work in retail but I'd like to ask how you find it. My employment agent said one of the jobs she might get me would be retail. So, do you find it to be enjoyable, horrible, tolerable? Do you work the checkout or in the stock room? If the former, do you find it hard to interact with customers? Do they expect you to appear NT or "bubbly" all the time? Do they expect you to be friendly to people you don't care about or smile when you're not happy?

Also, don't give up on zoology. I hear Google are working on a driverless car. Maybe if they made a driverless off road vehicle you could be a park ranger.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:07 pm

Retail sucks as a career.

I would do it only as a "stop-gap" measure until you get something better.

However, it IS a job--it's a million times better than not having a job at all.