Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2007, 3:25 pm

After 16 years of not having heard of Aspergers I've learned to adapt to facial expression etc and I can understand it to an extent. The thing which i'm concerned about is whenever I show my emotions on the outside (confusion, happiness and on often occasion laughter) It does not come naturally and I am forcing the expression upon myself. I do not feel like I should be doing this and I am just acting the expression rather than naturally showing it.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 3:58 pm

I think you're okay as long as the other person doesn't start to realize it. But yeah, sometimes I feel like that, too, but not typically.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 5:07 pm

Ya, everyday.. Faking a smile is better then the awkward silence has when hearing a joke that isn't funny 90 times a day

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2007, 6:14 pm

I am the same way. I think about the expression before displaying it. I was in theater for 10 years, and it helped, and at the same time, being an Aspie may have helped the acting because I knew HOW to act.

verte
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2007, 2:08 pm

When I am in a social situation that is uncomfortable to me, I feel exactly as you have described. Of this I am absolutely certain. In other circumstances I am not sure if I act or not. I do not feel like I force my emotions but I still feel like I only behave in ways I have tested for acceptability before.

AngelsFall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2007, 2:10 pm

I learned from anime, I've seriously messed up.
Why didn't I just watch tv and be the usual stupid slut?

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 7:21 pm

I'm always pretending to be interested in what people are talking to me about even though it is boring the crap out of me!

Dundunduuun
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2007, 8:16 pm

It's like learning the piano. First off you don't know any notes and can't play s**t, and what you learn to play you really have to think about as you're playing. Eventually, with practice, it all comes naturally and you can play Bethoven without even looking a sheet version. Literally. This is what it feels like for me. And yes, I was worse, but I improved. It's possible.

Watch television, and as someone suggested, anime, which is particularly good, because the animators really focus on human expression. Then try and approach someone in a real friendly way, with an 'open' expression and a postitive attidude. Practice, and you'll get it fine. 8)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Mar 2007, 12:08 am

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I'm always pretending to be interested in what people are talking to me!
yes me too. you wouldnt believe how many useless topics can get peoples attention these days

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:53 am

I can act to an extent, but not a very good one.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 7:48 am

It's funny - I learned from a friend how to 'act' really angry. One thing that I notice is that if you act your emotions out, the connection between the action and the reality becomes stronger. I don't know about little things - but with the big ones (pain, love, anger) it works pretty well.

Last edited by calandale on 11 Mar 2007, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 10:06 am

See, we do have something in common!

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2007, 9:10 am

Yup, that's what I do too.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 9:32 am

It just depends on the subject matter of your acting.

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2007, 11:32 am

I think this may be because people with aspergers sometimes really self conscious about showing their emotions, so they might think and think about if its ok to feel this way. Ive learned to go with my intuition about stuff like this, sometimes i just know its ok to laugh, other times i can understand how it can make a situation worse. The more experience you have in different situations, the more you learn whats acceptable and not, and just how much you can trust yourself, if you dont really give a rats ass, just go ahead and show your emotions, however, this can easily make people not like you because it could just show how immature you are, DEPENDING on what happened.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 2:17 pm

I have chatted with three Aspies who think they can act. I've thought about acting too. However, my looks don't put me in a part right now, in my opinion, unless it's a comedic one (I'd have to become a comedian first). When I'm in my 60s, maybe I could play an old man.