Earth Dodged Massive Solar Storm In 2012

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 1:14 am

Earth Dodged Massive Blast From the Sun and this is the link click here!

Yikes! 12% chance of it happening again in 10 years.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 1:26 am

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 4:28 am

Strange her heard about narrowly dodging the apocalypse in 2012...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 8:11 am

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) would be devastating beyond imagination because we are so dependent on our technology for survival. The problem could be successfully addressed by taking the measures to harden our power grid. But our government, by and large, doesn't seem to feel it's a high priority. Currently there is legislation (The SHIELD Act) which has passed the House and is now being reviewed by a subcommittee. Sadly, I suspect it will meet the fate of all the other bills that were introduced to deal with this important issue.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 8:16 am

Such a storm knocked out the Canadian power grid a number of years ago. Nowadays we are very vulnerable to solar flares / storms. If a major one hits us nowadays it will likely cause substantial damage to satellites knocking out everything from GPS to television, internet and telephone communications, not to mention all the other scientific research satellites and military satellites.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 10:09 am

Just stumbled on this article which gives more details:

Quote:
Back in 2012, the Sun erupted with a powerful solar storm that just missed the Earth but was big enough to "knock modern civilization back to the 18th century," NASA said.

The extreme space weather that tore through Earth's orbit on July 23, 2012, was the most powerful in 150 years, according to a statement posted on the US space agency website Wednesday.

http://phys.org/news/2014-07-earth-survived-near-miss-solar-storm.html

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 11:04 am

It would make a cracking good movie. Everyone's cell phone quits working, and they all crawl under their beds to cry.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 11:16 am

:lol:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

I read a book last year entitled, "One Second After," about the aftermath of an EMP attack -- scary stuff! Perhaps if they made that into a movie it would raise enough public awareness about this issue to force our government to take it more seriously. I'm not someone who worries about apocalyptic scenarios all that much, but having researched the topic thoroughly, I believe action needs to be taken to avoid a major catastrophe. The cost would would nothing compared to the unnecessary wars the U.S. has waged over the past 13 years.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:53 pm

An article in IEEE Spectrum magazine covered this some time ago, specifically the threat to any country's grid system.

As I recall, one of the ideas suggested was to ground the iron core of transformers used to convert voltages at various parts of the system. Again, as I recall, another big problem is that for at least the United States we do not have the manufacturing capability to replace all the power transformers that would be damaged, nor are there enough spare transformers in waiting. Another suggestion by the author of the article would be to do that, the government pay to build spares, which would have the side effect of adding capacity.

Concerning electronics, for military products there are ways to reduce and eliminate the damage caused by a nuclear blast. I would assume that these methods could apply to this as well, and applied to consumer electronics, or automotive electronics. Basically, you don't want a low impedance path from the two rails of a power supply. You assume that all semiconductors become a short for some duration of time and estimate what damage occurs, then try to alleviate by design change. The solution to improve survivability is often as simple as inserting resistors in various locations, but at the cost of decreased efficiency - we would increase power consumption, pollution, and greenhouse gases by this move.

The same article in IEEE noted that around 1858 a sunspot cycle caused all sorts of issues with the telegraph system.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 4:59 pm

If action is going to be taken, it's going to have to be like the action that's been taken on our teetering economy-- One person, one family, one household at a time.

People think I'm insane. My father-in-law called it OCD, my hubby calls it PTSD or says it's an autism thing that I should really do something about...

Whatever. It's going to be too late when we are sitting unarmed, in the dark, without an Internet to look instructions up on, and I'm saying "I told you so" by oil lamp light waiting for the (armed) neighbors to show up, kill us, and take what I've put by. Then they're all going to be looking at me saying, "Why didn't you have us ready for this??" And I'm going to say, "I tried."

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
..., and I'm saying "I told you so" by oil lamp light waiting for the (armed) neighbors to show up, kill us, and take what I've put by.

Actually, without electricity they won't be able to pump any oil out of the ground, so you might be relying on tallow candles made by hand from fat rendered out of cattle in large vats heated by logs or coal.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

TallyMan wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
..., and I'm saying "I told you so" by oil lamp light waiting for the (armed) neighbors to show up, kill us, and take what I've put by.

Actually, without electricity they won't be able to pump any oil out of the ground, so you might be relying on tallow candles made by hand from fat rendered out of cattle in large vats heated by logs or coal.

I'm not sure if she means kerosene (petroleum) or veggie oil.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 7:03 pm

pezar wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

I'm not sure if she means kerosene (petroleum) or veggie oil.

I think he is talking about sustainable supply of fuel for her lamp what ever it uses for fuel.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 8:05 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
If action is going to be taken, it's going to have to be like the action that's been taken on our teetering economy-- One person, one family, one household at a time.

People think I'm insane. My father-in-law called it OCD, my hubby calls it PTSD or says it's an autism thing that I should really do something about...

Whatever. It's going to be too late when we are sitting unarmed, in the dark, without an Internet to look instructions up on, and I'm saying "I told you so" by oil lamp light waiting for the (armed) neighbors to show up, kill us, and take what I've put by. Then they're all going to be looking at me saying, "Why didn't you have us ready for this??" And I'm going to say, "I tried."

Why can't you own guns? You'll need them.

Anyway, I have the same frustrations with my mom, who I'm living with. Won't rip out her lawn, despite the worst drought in a century. Won't plant a garden. Can't bear the thought of killing animals, even for food. I sent her some charts from Zerohedge (an alternative statistics site, for those who don't know) by email, and she trashed them because they were "depressing". The only thing I can do is move out, eventually.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Hubby grew up in the Fort Myers 'burbs, where guns were for criminals to kill people with. He's completely and utterly uncomfortable with them.

Ironically, his mother (who was so anti-gun that she didn't even allow toy ones) now wants a CCW. I guess the criminals got too numerous for her). She's moving in next week. Maybe she'll help me change his mind.

Eventually we will be down to tallow candles, I guess. Or beeswax. But not until the lamp oil runs out. I'm discussing immediate aftermate, and I've put up quite a bit. Also you know what they say about paraffin candles-- "buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep." :thumleft:

I caught a "Going Out of Business" sale at a close-out store several years ago. I bought 'em for 25 cents a box, and filled three Sterilite boxes. Now I pick them up here and there to replenish the supply, and concentrate on putting up lamp oil (so much nicer).

Guess if I were REALLY smart, I'd have a solar array, batteries, inverter, and all the rest of it tucked in a Faraday box somewhere-- yeah, WAY out-of-bounds.

They think I'm crazy and that I make no compromises as-is. I guess that's because I don't talk about half the stuff I think about, or bring up half of the things I'd LIKE to do.