Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 2:13 pm

There was this guy once at my college who had quite a bad case of aspergers. He would behave in bizarre ways etc..

In one our classes he was trying to talk to one of the girls and one of her male friends (not her boyfriend) said to him "why are you talking to her" in annoyed tone of voice.

Do you think he was a bit harsh saying that to him?

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Harsh yes but typical of what happens to some aspies.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm

Why typical?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 3:20 pm

That's the way young people are.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm

If they're not dating, then he's a d-bag. If they were dating and the other guy wasn't trying to flirt, then he's a d-bag.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

How was that harsh? It was just a question.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 4:23 pm

My guess? You were being annoying and/or creepy and had no idea you were doing it; the girl was uncomfortable but too nice/polite to say anything; and the tension of the situation made the other kid irritable.

Or he was just a douche.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 5:08 pm

Sounds like the Aspie was talking to a "popular" girl, and the douchebag "popular" guy didn't like it. Too high school for college.

Protector88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2014, 8:33 pm

Classic event! I hate popular people. They just think they own everyone and are perfect.

To answer the question, he was being very harsh. Can't the girl talk for herself? Even if the weirdest kid would come up to you, why ignore him or let a guy brush him off. How stuck up can you be to do that? I would have said to him to shut the f up and let the girl talk for herself. Probably would get in a fight but I don't care.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 8:56 pm

A little. He could have asked the girl if she was being bothered if she seemed uncomfortable and cornered.

League_Girl wrote:
How was that harsh? It was just a question.

Harsh because it's not considered proper for people to question or police who other people talk to, but he did so anyway.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 10:23 pm

Harsh? I don't know. I certainly think it seems a bit of a strange thing to say, though.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 8:23 am

Hierarchy blindness is probably the most maladaptive aspie trait. If you?re raising an aspie and really want to help them, warn them as early as possible about it and help them research the topic. On the other hand, it can be argued that natural selection should be allowed to do its job and thus we should not be warned, nor should we be helped to learn things the way it works best for us.

I don?t think it was strange at all. Harsh or not, it boils down to the girl not speaking for herself (perhaps she enjoyed letting her friend protect her, optimizing her attention-received-vs-attention-given balance), and the male friend seizing the chance to act like a white knight, improving his status by fending off a ?lesser? male from her and putting him in his place.

If the aspie guy is anything like me, he?ll probably not be able to learn anything from the experience, or the lesson will be a simple ?girls are not for you?stay away from them?.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

Yes, and it's rude too. Sounds like the typical narcist male b***h.

ypi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2014, 11:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sounds like the Aspie was talking to a "popular" girl, and the douchebag "popular" guy didn't like it. Too high school for college.

My thoughts exactly.
Anyway, unnecessarily rude.

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2014, 4:43 pm

I don't know if "harsh" is the right way to describe it. More like rude. If the guy is not her boyfriend, theres no reason why the other guy can't talk to her. Even if they were in a relationship, it would be okay(assuming that he wasn't trying to flirt/hit on her).

If he was trying to talk to her in a creepy way, then I can see why her male friend would say something like that, like maybe he was trying to protect her. I think that girls should be able to speak for themselves on stuff like that.

If not, then it sounds a little rude to me.