Becoming a pro athlete to save the world...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm

Intense exercise to keep your mind sharp and sane...and high income to donate (under wraps of course)

what do you think?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

26 Jul 2014, 6:55 pm

Just focus on staying healthy and don't strain yourself.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 4:18 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Intense exercise to keep your mind sharp and sane...and high income to donate (under wraps of course)

what do you think?

If you love fitness, go for it.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2014, 12:41 pm

Becoming a professional athlete is goal that is just too far out of reach for me.
Unless I start taking a near fatal dose of epo, anabolic streroids , testosteron and speed. Since that is not something I am willing to do I have no other choice than to accept the fact that I suck at sports.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 2:32 pm

Atom1966 wrote:
Becoming a professional athlete is goal that is just too far out of reach for me.
Unless I start taking a near fatal dose of epo, anabolic streroids , testosteron and speed. Since that is not something I am willing to do I have no other choice than to accept the fact that I suck at sports.

what is "speed" that you refer to here?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 3:11 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:

Crystal Methamphetamine... the most dangerous drug in the world. You don't want to do it.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 2:24 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

Crystal Methamphetamine... the most dangerous drug in the world. You don't want to do it.

what would the benefits of that be to the athlete?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

Increased strength & stamina.

The main detriment would be destroying your brain. Literally. It's an ultra strong stimulant that makes your brain release dopamine, but you can burn out the mechanisms that release dopamine & the end result is that you can never feel happy again in your life because you've literally fried your brain.

They don't call it the most dangerous drug in the world for no good reason.

If you want to be a pro athlete, or a pro anything, you do not want to do crystal meth because all it will do is put you on the fast track to skid row.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 2:23 am

goldfish21 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

Increased strength & stamina.

The main detriment would be destroying your brain. Literally. It's an ultra strong stimulant that makes your brain release dopamine, but you can burn out the mechanisms that release dopamine & the end result is that you can never feel happy again in your life because you've literally fried your brain.

They don't call it the most dangerous drug in the world for no good reason.

If you want to be a pro athlete, or a pro anything, you do not want to do crystal meth because all it will do is put you on the fast track to skid row.

I am humbled. That's some dark material

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:

what do you think?
why donate "under wraps"? wouldn't a pro athlete openly giving away a large percentage of salary possibly be inspiring, creating a snowball effect of others doing likewise? even with the stupid money top pros get these days, just one won't be enough to save the world.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:46 am

Pro athletes in things that aren't big team sports don't make a lot of money. Unless you play football, baseball, hockey, or basketball, there's no pro leagues that will pay you much to play, and high school/college doesn't subsidize your training. Even with hockey for example, most don't make the NHL. The best that happens is you get free college, and after said college, if you don't make the NHL you play minor leagues for a few years for 20-30K a year with free living expenses, which isn't bad but it's not millions a year or even enough to really support a family well. In USA, Olympic sport athletes are NOT funded by the government. All your training and equipment costs must be self supported. Even if you get to, say, Top 10 nationally, the only money you get is from the USOC, who owns the US Olympic training centers, and they are a non-profit non-governmental organization. The maximum stipend you get from them is $400-2000 a month. Basically get paid minimum wage or less for being a pro athlete representing your country.

But what about Michael Phelps/etc, he's rich, right? You can only make money as an athlete via endorsements and sponsorships, but even then most athletes do not get these things, and usually they have to purchase said equipment themselves, or if they're lucky, Nike/etc gives them free shoes but isn't paying them money to wear them. So yes, Michael Phelps is rich, Ryan Lochte is rich, but what about the American swimmers that don't have a gold medal? Probably made no money from swimming.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alp ... s-go-broke
http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/10/news/ec ... financial/

Quote:
Eric Flaim, four-time Olympian for speed-skating and winner of two silver medals, says that training costs, which include coaching, living expenses, travel, and practice facilities can easily exceed $100,000 a year. (That doesn?t include the cost of lost earnings for parents or athletes, who often have to uproot themselves to focus exclusively on their sport.)

So yes, as an athlete, you can make a lot of money if you get famous and popular. If you don't, you make nothing at all and still have to pay to play. Interestingly, in countries not USA, for the most part their governments will actually fund and support their athletes and give them a reasonable standard of living. You won't make millions of dollars playing said small Olympic sports, but Cyprus for example pays their top weightlifters about 30K a year (and this goes much further than in USA) and gives them a free apartment and free training. Not all countries have great athlete support systems, but most are better than US.

Sorry for crushing your dreams. But this is the way things are in USA...