Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 12:51 am

Before you all see it on the news or hear people talking about it, because I KNOW none of you already knew this, you can learn it from me. I know nobody cares since the second one overshadows it massively, But 100 years ago today, World War 1 officially started. And I know pretty much nobody is alive to remember it anymore, but I still hope we never forget it.

P.S. Kudos if you already knew this, I would hope everyone did but I know not everyone does.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 1:20 am

If you haven't already read it, I recommend Remarque's novel All Quiet on the Western Front.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... 180951430/

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 6:02 am

Modernmax, good on you for taking an interest in history. May I suggest you investigate the reasons why the war started in the first place. I will give you a hint it has very little to do with the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, instead the war can be traced back at least 40-50 years and further. I suggest you do this ase the lead up to WW1 has striking similarities to the events of today, ie we have various alliances forming between the major players USA, PRC, and India, The US is a colonial power in decline and the other two are in direct competition with each other and the US.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 8:46 am

Explain a bit about WWI, please. I know about WWII, but instead of googling WWI, perhaps you can teach me. I probably didn't pay attention at all. I find history boring when it comes to war, however, you seem eager to let people know information....

Have at it!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 10:44 am

World War I occurred between 1914 and 1918. The US was involved from the middle of 1917 to 11/11/1918 (which was known as Armistice Day, and which is now known as Veterans Day).

World War I revolved, basically, around Nationalism. The German and Austro-Hungarian Empires felt a desire to expand. The other European powers, of course, wanted to thwart the advance. I don't know too much about the role the dying Ottoman Empire played. There were previous, smaller wars, from at least 1866, which reflects those desires.

There were two main alliances: the Triple Alliance and the Triple Entente. When Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, it set off both alliances. War was declared within a week.

One of the Alliances became the "Allies"; the other the "Central Powers."

Within a two-week period, at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, there were over a million casualties (dead, wounded, taken prisoner) combined.

It was a total stalemate on the Western Front from late 1914 through early 1918. The Line separating the Allies and the Central Powers only moved a few miles either way in all that time.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 10:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
World War I occurred between 1914 and 1918. The US was involved from the middle of 1917 to 11/11/1918 (which was known as Armistice Day, and which is now known as Veterans Day).

World War I revolved, basically, around Nationalism. The German and Austro-Hungarian Empires felt a desire to expand. The other European powers, of course, wanted to thwart the advance. I don't know too much about the role the dying Ottoman Empire played. There were previous, smaller wars, from at least 1866, which reflects those desires.

There were two main alliances: the Triple Alliance and the Triple Entente. When Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, it set off both alliances. War was declared within a week.

Within a two-week period, at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, there were over a million casualties (dead, wounded, taken prisoner) combined.

It was a total stalemate on the Western Front from late 1914 through early 1918. The Line separating the Allies and the Central Powers only moved a few miles either way in all that time.

I'm reminded why I found history so boring. You almost made it entertaining for me, and that's a very big compliment. I am curious why the (I'm assuming border) between the Allies and Central Powers only moved a few miles. That seems like so much death for such little progress. :s

Why did the USA get involved? Why does the USA always seem to get involved in certain wars last minute? -.-

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

My Uncle E.was a WW1 vet.He was in France.98 years old when he died,the kids were small but they remember him,the only one they ever got the opportunity to meet.The old guy smoked like a chimney and ate everything cooked in bacon grease,one tough old man.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

bleh12345 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm reminded why I found history so boring. You almost made it entertaining for me, and that's a very big compliment. I am curious why the (I'm assuming border) between the Allies and Central Powers only moved a few miles. That seems like so much death for such little progress. :s

Why did the USA get involved? Why does the USA always seem to get involved in certain wars last minute? -.-

Because at the time, the United States had an Isolationist view on world affairs. It was not until later did the U.S. get involved " officially " there were volunteers in both WW1 and WW2 before the U.S. got involved. In WW2 it was the bombing of Pearl Habour in Hawaii that tipped the scales.
In WW1 there was a note by the Germans to Mexico known as The Zimmerman Note, in which Germany asked Mexico to attack the U.S. The British intercepted this note, and told the U.S. what was going on. Which led the public opinion for the U.S. to declare war on Germany, another reason was that the germans did sink a U.S. ship even though they were not involved.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

bleh12345 wrote:

I like it better that way, today we just start every war and fund both sides even if it's our enemy. Back then we would actually know who is our enemy and attacked if they really posed a threat to us.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 4:58 pm

Knew it, but hadnt thought about it until now.

Wow- "the Guns of August" began firing exactly a century ago this summer!

In a sense the First World War did not end until the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 because both the Second World War, and the Cold War were direct results of what was set in motion in the summer of 1914.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 5:08 pm

One of my "special interests" is World War One aviation, especially the career and death of the famous flying ace the Red Baron. I read about him when I was just a boy. Some of his character traits were outstanding enough for him to deserve the legendary fame he has to this day. I wrote a song about him in 1995. The lyrics are historically accurate. The images used in this 2008 music video are also historically accurate and go very well with the lyrics. I wrote and received permission from several different famous aviation artists to use their art in this music video, and all of them answered me within a day or two of my request. (I sing much better now than when this video was made in 2008, but this version of the song has the killer aviation art.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUQuMarsV4[/youtube]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 5:33 pm

The US got involved in World War I because of the Zimmerman Note, as well as various acts (e.g., the German sinking of the Lusitania in 1915, their declaration of "unrestricted submarine warfare") undertaken by the Germans.

It took a while for the US presence to have any effect upon the stalemate. But the US presence was probably a decisive element in ending the war.

We lost about 117,000 people DEAD in 1 1/2 years in Europe.

Nowadays, we think 3,000 dead in Iraq over quite a few years is a lot (it is a lot, of course)--but could you imagine if we lost 117,000 people in 1 1/2 years nowadays?

World War One was a brutal war. It could be argued, from the viewpoint of being in the armed forces, that it was the most brutal war of all time (from the viewpoint of civilians, WWII is the "clear winner" in brutality).

This was the first war which made extensive use of airplanes.

Tanks were invented during WW One. No tanks existed before then.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm

bleh12345 wrote:

With the technology and tactics of the time, it was much easier to defend a position than it was to assault it. Basically both sides dig trenches and made a fortified position, and because they defended it with machine gun fire and artillery, it was nearly impossile for the opposing forces to reach their trench. The reverse was also true.
The war did not end because the Allies had military superiority, but because the German and Russian Empires had an internal revolution. The Ottoman Empire also fell apart.

As for why the USA got involved, I think many people would regard that as a mistake. History is full of mistakes. Here is a whole wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_entry_into_World_War_I

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

What I mostly know about WWI is from seeing Snoopy in Peanuts Comics. Doesn't seem much different from WWII - Americans fighting the Germans with the French as their allies. And now today they pretty much get along with Germans while making fun of French people all the time. The influenza pandemic that came at around the time WWI killed more people than the war itself, and people said it was supposed to be the war to end all wars.

I personally have virtually no understanding whatsoever about war. As a kid I was taught that such things never solved anything, and I never really understood why Americans had such a problem with Russia during the Cold War and called them The Enemy when I was a kid, but they more or less get along better now. Now if only Americans could see Cuba the way most Canadians do - an affordable place to take a tropical vacation in the winter and get high-quality cigars. My parents have been there a few times.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 9:42 pm

AntDog wrote:
...today we just start every war and fund both sides even if it's our enemy.

I don't think the US has ever initiated a war, and Russia is traditionally backing one of the sides. The Syrian meat grinder where Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda are killing each other would stop if it were not fuled. This would end one of the most important ongoing evolutionary processes of our time.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 12:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
World War I revolved, basically, around Nationalism.

It was more Imperialism then nationalism.

bleh12345 wrote:

Because then you are in stronger position to make demands for your participation. Even more so if the already fighting parties are nearing exhaustion and do not have the ability anymore to gain anything more then a stalemate. Also considering WOI both the UK and France had made huge war debts with the USA, which the later could use as leverage for their demands. If they where involved earlier more of those available credit would have to be used to fund their own war effort.