Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Jul 2014, 4:00 pm

Okay, I really gotta leave for work in 20 minutes, so I have to get ready and leave. I gave Elvis a peanut butter kong and some chew toys in a huge crate, and I left him alone for a few minutes and he begins whining!

I was really hoping I wouldn't get a dog with separation anxiety, but it seems like this is the case. I've had dogs all my life, but this is the first time I've had to deal with separation anxiety before. Do any of you guys have tips for handling it?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 4:07 pm

If you have to leave that soon there is no much we can do at the moment. But to get rid of an animal separation anxiety all you must do is let him know you are going back. Leave him for a few minutes then go back. Leave him for like 20 minutes and go back. Leave him for a hour and go back. Leave him for a few hours and go back. Use short periods till your dog gets used to it then extend the time. Soon he is going to learn: "I am not leaving you, I have to go but I will get back, sooner or later".

And don't worry. If you have to leave to work then you have to. Period. You are the leader, dog has to deal with it. Don't make a fuss, try to stay calm. Let the dog know it is not a big deal. He can feel your emotions.

He is going to cry a bit but then he will get depressed and go to sleep. When you go back he will jump at you of happiness. And next time he won't cry that much because he will remember you got back eventually. That's the hard way (shorter periods are less stressing for the dog) but it will also teach him the lesson.

Last edited by Kiriae on 28 Jul 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

Thanks, I will give that a try when I have some more time on my hands.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 4:29 pm

Btw, I got a cat almost the same age as your dog (12 weeks, we took her when she was 8 weeks). She had the separate anxiety at first (that's understandable, she was always with mother, siblings and about 20 other kittens and female cats in a small room, she was never alone) but not anymore. She still follows us wherever we go and hides on my laps when she is scared but she doesn't cry when left alone anymore. When we leave she just goes to sleep next to a teddy bear and calmly waits for us to get back. So cute! :P

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 11:39 pm

Kiriae's approach is very good.

Just a small added idea. Dogs like predictable patterns/rituals. When you leave for long periods perhaps give the dog a certain long lasting thing consistantly. I use rawhide or fake rawhide bones (actually like a swirly rod). I call it the Bone of Parting. Get it 'Bonaparte'?

Ok that was terrible, but in time it seems to be a signal to my dogs of what is going to happen. They no longer try and follow us out. Both are small half-Chihuahua thingies and have separation anxiety, one has it really bad. Oddly one eats hers right away, and the other saves it carefully till we get back.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 3:02 am

Thanks. :D

I actually texted these suggestions to my mom, and she was able to get started on the training. Elvis learns rather quickly, thankfully.