I think a girl I know may be AS/autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2014, 5:13 pm

I have a friend who I have known since I was little. We were friends as little kids, but even then, she seemed different to me and still does. She seems very introverted and socially awkward. She never talks to people, idk if its AS, autism, or social anxiety. She always seems nervous around people, and she isn't very social at school, and doesn't have a lot of friends. When we were younger, she would do all these weird behaviours, such as hiding and running away from people. Everyone at school thinks she is weird, cuz she doesn't talk to anyone. When we took our exams this year(grade 9), they put all the IEP/Special Ed kids in a separate classroom, and when I went there, I found her in there. Do you think she might have some form of autism, or social anxiety?

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 5:29 pm

Ask her. If she gets offended or perhaps to stop any offendedness or upset or defensiveness just say that you have it and that's why you ask. This will "level the playing field" you might say and make it so she could understand that you aren't going to think something horrible about her or that she is stupid, because you have it too and know better than that.

My only friend from high school and we were best friends then (I can't say "best" anymore because with moving around with my husband I have collected a few more friends), because we had the common ground of OCD and similar interests and thought processes and opinions. She has a lot of ASD traits too and I really suspect she might have this too, though she is not sure.