Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LostWayfinder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2014, 7:15 pm

I live in St. Louis, Missouri, and while it isn't the worst place to be with AS, it probably isn't the best either. What cities do you think are best for people with AS and why?

Here are a few of my own criteria:

1. Culturally diverse which implies acceptance of neurodiversity
2. A greater emphasis on a life of the mind than a sporting man's culture
3. State resources and suitable employment
4. Ideally (for me) a de-emphasis on the capitalist mode of living: being productive, valuing money over all else, those kinds of things

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 7:31 pm

I heard that Seattle WA and San Fransisco CA. are 2 of the best cities so far. haven't live there so I am not for sure.

aspieinsane
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2014, 8:29 pm

Don't venture to the Caribbean and expect people to understand aspergers. More likely than not, you will be thought of as crazy. But still nice sights though.
I would think that new york would be a good city since I think it would be considered cool to be an aspie not to mention all the hipsters.

LostWayfinder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2014, 4:52 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I heard that Seattle WA and San Fransisco CA. are 2 of the best cities so far. haven't live there so I am not for sure.

Why do you think they're better for people with AS? Is the tech connection? Do you assume that since people in tech tend to have more children with AS, they will have developed more services?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm

LostWayfinder wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:

Why do you think they're better for people with AS? Is the tech connection? Do you assume that since people in tech tend to have more children with AS, they will have developed more services?

It's the tech industries. But I think that the culture of these cities are more friendlier to people with AS as well.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 11:35 pm

For my part, I want to skip living in a city if ever possible. The countryside is the best place ever. :D
Except for the tendency for there to be a significant lack in available services....

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 12:25 am

here in Santa Barbara we're not too big, not too small (85,000), we're very culturally diverse and from what i've seen we're very accepting of people's differences. we're rather laid back too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 10:31 am

Langley has a population of 38,000 and there's also a lot of cultural diversity as well. My community is also open to people who are unique.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

In five years,Pueblo Colorado will be. :wink:

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

Meh its a tricky balance.

IF you actually live in a remote place, the isolation is brutal when your the only aspie in town. Also its hard to find anyone that has an interesting in anything outside of sports and television.

The city can be very good, but the economic situation can be lets say unempathetic and greedy. Also very noisy and pollution can be brutal. Although easy public transit can make being car-less much easier.

however a place like toronto canada can be truly fantastic. I honest had days where I forgot I had as, something that is virtually impossible in my home town.

If I were in the state however Id advocate moving to those metropolitan areas of about a half million people. In canada theres only a handful of options outside of Toronto but theres about 100 cities that are smaller than a million and still are real cities.

But be clear learn what metropolitan population means. Americans tend to only understand cities as the civic location.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 2:43 pm

Whatever you do, do not move to Portland. Even though Portland is culturally diverse, many Portlanders I have come across enjoy treating marginalized groups, such as Aspies, like dirt.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 2:56 pm

^wow. i'd have never guessed that. thanks, i've been thinking about going to college in Portland.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^wow. i'd have never guessed that. thanks, i've been thinking about going to college in Portland.

Don't thank me, thank mainstream local media in Portland for depicting Aspies
in such a negative way. Also, Portland is a very big "Hipster City", so if you come to Portland and tell a hipster you have Aspergers, hipsters will turn the other way and run or call you derogatory names.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm

oh. sucks.
are there certain areas in Portland that are better than others? or towns not too far from it?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

Unless hes comparing it to somewhere else, id take that comparison with a grain of salt.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
oh. sucks.
are there certain areas in Portland that are better than others? or towns not too far from it?

The area of Portland that I live in is great! It was originally a small town, but became a part of Portland in the late part of the 19th century.