Creating a skills group for university students

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

HillaryatUMB
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and am humbly asking for some help. I am a psychology graduate student, and am putting together a weekly skills group for undergraduate students on the spectrum. As it's planned now, the group will cover social skills, organizational skills, and communication skills as they relate to being in the college environment. This is the first time that a group like this will be offered at my university, and I really hope that it is helpful and worthwhile for the students who choose to be a part of it.

Do you have any ideas as to topics or things that I should include? Or should definitely NOT include? If you are a college student now, or were in the past, would you consider joining a group like this on your campus?

I really appreciate any help and suggestions you can offer.

Thanks,
Hillary

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 5:39 am

I would have been delighted!! In my opinion, the first and best topics to cover are how to keep safe on campus - how to avoid being robbed, raped, etc... Afterwards do things on how to survive academics, and later go onto the social stuff. I feel that senior members of this group should look after the newer ones,of course, with reservations and gender rules of behavior. So, safety first! Thanks for doing this for people :D

HillaryatUMB
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2014, 1:04 pm

Thank you for your kind response! Campus safety is so important -- will be sure to include that! I think starting with safety, then moving on the academic stuff, and then the social stuff will make for a nice progression. Very helpful and appreciated!