The birds are here to get me!! !! !!

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:26 pm

I thought reptiles were pretty greedy (I have 2 turtles), but then I met birds...

When I was 3-5 (sometime then), we took a day trip to the Beijing Zoo. Lots of cool animals and stuff. The birds look at you kind of funny and cock their heads and flap their wings until they're fed.

Then there's the wildlife infiltrating the zoo.

My mum brought some granola bars with us, but suddenly a duck flew out from the exhibit and ripped it out of my hand! I started crying and my brother kicked it in surprise and my sister hid behind my dad.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

When my daughter and I were at the beach I saw a seagull go up to an unattended picnic basket and steal a hotdog. :D

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:31 pm

Yah - a seagull swooped and stole my Dad's porkchop off of the BBQ when I was a kid. The stupid bird didn't get too far before he dropped it in the sand beacuse it was too heavy.

My dad washed it off before it put it back on the BBQ but it was still one gritty porkchop.

Seagulls have to be the stupidest of the birds.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

Seagulls definatly are good at stealing things. I saw one take a plastic bagged sandwich out of an unzipped lunch bag that was only left unattended for about 3 seconds! :D

They do seem to like hotdogs. I started feeding a group of seagulls with tiny bits of hotdog and I almost had them eating out of my hand! I've fed pigeons out of my hand before. They got so close that my sister and I were petting them. Our brothers were laughing watching us and one of them said, "I bet you can't catch one." Immediately, my sister had caught one :lol: I grabbed one of the pigeons too, but I didn't hold it's wings down so it got away.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm

ImeldaJace wrote:
Seagulls definatly are good at stealing things. I saw one take a plastic bagged sandwich out of an unzipped lunch bag that was only left unattended for about 3 seconds! :D

They do seem to like hotdogs. I started feeding a group of seagulls with tiny bits of hotdog and I almost had them eating out of my hand! I've fed pigeons out of my hand before. They got so close that my sister and I were petting them. Our brothers were laughing watching us and one of them said, "I bet you can't catch one." Immediately, my sister had caught one :lol: I grabbed one of the pigeons too, but I didn't hold it's wings down so it got away.

When I lived in Jacksonville Florida, people were being arrested for putting bread on fishing hooks and using it to reel seagulls in, casting the lines into the air.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:56 pm

Saw a nature film (maybe David Attenboro) in which the filmmakers learned about one individual urban sea gull in Italy that hunted pigeons.

They showed the lovely Italian piazza (fountains, and marble park benches etc) crowded with pigeons.

Than the sea gull landed amid the pigeons. Got next to one pigeon, cocking it head up and down to give the smaller bird a quick looking over. And then the gull opened its beak as wide as it would go. Placed it over the pigeon's head, and lifted the pigeon into the air. For a moment the pigeon's little feet were wiggling in the air inside the gulls beak. Then "GULP" down the pigeon went into the gull's esophagus- swallowed live and whole!

Funniest thing you ever saw.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

Hopefully the bird won't literally get you by picking you up & carrying you away like in the Verizon Smart Rewards commercial.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCWGuAfgNY[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

^^ That was hillarious :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 7:02 pm

And you thought "angry birds" was just a game!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 9:19 pm

When I was walking with my sisters, a big bird suddenly and quietly came down from behind and tried to steal my sister's ice cream from her hand. It failed and the ice cream dropped on the ground. I've also seen one successfully stealing a meat bun from someone's hand. They also steal puppies.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

^^^
Reminds me of the time when I was feeding a pidgin crumbs from a pizza crust. I kept putting pieces on my brothers toes to try and get a photo that looked like the bird was eating his toes, but I never got the timing right and I eventually had to stop trying when I ran out of pizza crust. Looking back, I can't believe that my brother put up with it! :lol: