The birds are here to get me!! !! !!

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm

Has anyone had a bizarre run in with birds?

Right now there are these four birds with pointed beaks and menacing eyes trying to break in through the skylight window by pecking there way through the screen. They also seem to be attempting to remove the window screen entirely by pecking at the frame. I am sooo glad I've never seen Mel Gibson's movie! My one concern is that they don't poop through the screen and onto the floor :lol:

Edit: "bazaar" spelling error :)

Last edited by ImeldaJace on 31 Jul 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

when i was in mexico in 2013 i bought a chick and i swear i got pooped on 5 times a day.
also i was almost attacked by a goose once.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 7:03 pm

I wonder how you'd react to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds?"

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 7:36 pm

Oops, I got Mel Gibson and Alfred Hitchcock mixed up somehow. :lol: I've never actually seen the movie, but I kept thinking about it while I was watching the birds at my skylight window. The thread title was meant as a joke about the movie. Horror movies creep me out to no end, so I'm glad I've never seen it. :D

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 5:32 am

Slingshots (the forked timber kind and elastic sling) and frozen peas work well to get rid of these types of pests without hurting them (even if you miss the clang! will scare them).

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 6:03 am

Take a picture of them if you get a chance, or of one of the same types. Birds follow certain instinctive behaviors and there may be a reason. I can only guess they were attracted to the opening as a nesting site. If I knew what birds i might say more. Perhaps one of the species that likes nesting in barns or under eaves.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:40 am

Sometimes birds will see their reflection in glass and think it's another bird.I had a male red bird that liked to peck at his reflection in the window,he thought he had a challenger.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2014, 10:52 am

I've seen a several nests lined with my mother's hair. They like it so much they even try to take it from her head. She fell asleep outside once, and woke up to find two jackdaws pulling at her hair.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Aug 2014, 1:43 pm

Not too bizarre but a goose attacked me as well as kid, mean mean animals.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Slingshots (the forked timber kind and elastic sling) and frozen peas work well to get rid of these types of pests without hurting them (even if you miss the clang! will scare them).
Hey, finally a productive use for frozen peas! :D

Toy Soldier wrote:
Take a picture of them if you get a chance, or of one of the same types. Birds follow certain instinctive behaviors and there may be a reason. I can only guess they were attracted to the opening as a nesting site. If I knew what birds i might say more. Perhaps one of the species that likes nesting in barns or under eaves.
I got a video of them actually. If I can find a way to post it I will.

Misslizard wrote:
Sometimes birds will see their reflection in glass and think it's another bird.I had a male red bird that liked to peck at his reflection in the window,he thought he had a challenger.
The funny thing was that they were under the glass part of the open window standing on or next to the screen.

The same birds woke me up a couple mornings in a row a couple weeks ago by pecking at my bedroom window screen (a regular window, not w skylight.) That had some of a plus because I don't usually respond to an alarm clock :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 11:41 am

Sometimes the woodpeckers will hammer on my house,it has wood siding,boy are they loud.
Once I heard something banging at a window(there is an air conditioning unit in that window),I thought it was a cat I was pet sitting trying to get in,till I clicked that the owners had picked the kitty up that morning,when I went to look it was a big hawk sitting on the AC,he saw his reflection and was not happy about it.It was sort of funny,you don't expect to look out the window and see a hawk looking back at you. :D
Maybe there are some bugs they are after.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 5:50 am

Mel Gibson bird movie was lame. Check out Alfred Hitchcock "the Birds." Watch it while they coming for you. Be these birds black birds? Crows? Dont get them pised at you. Some birds remember the faces of human beings who crossed them up and will pass your identity on to others of their species who will also recognize your facial features from description given by bird you initially pissed off.

elephantgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2014, 4:04 am

Once I was having lunch with my coworkers at an outdoor cafe. My boss pulled out a cookie, his dessert, looked at a nearby bird, and said, "you can't have this."

Within a couple seconds, the bird flew about six feet toward my boss, and stopped within a foot of his face, turned its body in midair, then left.

birds can be super super smart. No doubt they are trying to accomplish something (with your window). I hope you survive :)

elephantgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2014, 4:04 am

keep us posted with the birds and the window!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 6:20 am

Maybe the birds are trying to activate the automatic sensor and come inside. I have watched birds do this at WalMart. I know you don't have automatic sensors but maybe it is a learned behavior in the bird world

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:26 pm

I thought reptiles were pretty greedy (I have 2 turtles), but then I met birds...

When I was 3-5 (sometime then), we took a day trip to the Beijing Zoo. Lots of cool animals and stuff. The birds look at you kind of funny and cock their heads and flap their wings until they're fed.

Then there's the wildlife infiltrating the zoo.

My mum brought some granola bars with us, but suddenly a duck flew out from the exhibit and ripped it out of my hand! I started crying and my brother kicked it in surprise and my sister hid behind my dad.