English teacher fired for blogging about homophones

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 2:38 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I'm still not convinced that this isn't secretly some form of satirical joke.

As I had already reported in this thread, a teacher a while back was fired for using the word "niggardly," so any idiocy is possible.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 12:16 am

Humanaut wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
People don't care about dictionary definitions.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Connotations

can you tell me what the link was for. I read it and don't understand why you posted it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:56 pm

Oh for crying out loud, I've heard them use the word "homophone" on Jeopardy! :roll:
I don't remember hearing the word when I went to school as a kid, maybe there's some other word to describe it. I once even read that "hexagon" was originally called "sexagon", because sex is Latin for "six". But they changed it so that incredibly filthy word wouldn't be uttered in school.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm

It was perfectly acceptable a homophone is a pejorative term referring to a telephone made expressly for homosexual individuals :roll:

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Last edited by Ectryon on 13 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Oh for crying out loud, I've heard them use the word "homophone" on Jeopardy! :roll:
I don't remember hearing the word when I went to school as a kid, maybe there's some other word to describe it. I once even read that "hexagon" was originally called "sexagon", because sex is Latin for "six". But they changed it so that incredibly filthy word wouldn't be uttered in school.

We were taught homophone (words with the same sound, such as to, too and two) and homonym (words with the same spelling, but with different definitions/word origins and often pronunciations, such as minute) and had to know the difference between them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm

I heard the word in 6th grade and it's pronounced huama-phone. We were learning about words that sound the same but are spelled differently. Guess what? No one was fired for using this word. I thought everyone knew what a homophone is.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
People don't care about dictionary definitions.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Connotations

can you tell me what the link was for. I read it and don't understand why you posted it.

Sure. I didn't give enough information. Sorry about that.

Dictionary definitions are denotative, while most people have a more connotative comprehension of language, possibly due to linguistic sloppiness.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 6:02 pm

Ectryon wrote:
It was perfectly acceptable a homophone is a pejorative term referring to a telephone made expressly for homosexual individuals :roll:

A phone that wants to bone another phone is homophone!

As opposed to a phone that yearns to fax.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 4:29 pm

did anyone already do this one:

these pedagogues should all go to hell for doing it with little children.

also: the Language school's name is Nomen. Wasn't that the thing Ted Bundy was propagating?
No wonder they have issues with homophones.
Although, he seems to be able to jump over his shadow and accept his gay son in that new sitcom he's in.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

shlaifu wrote:

also: the Language school's name is Nomen. Wasn't that the thing Ted Bundy was propagating?
Although, he seems to be able to jump over his shadow and accept his gay son in that new sitcom he's in.

I dont get it. Part of the problem is that you seem to have your Bundies mixed up.

Al Bundy was the fictional dad on "Married with Children", and the all-to-real Ted Bundy ranked with Jeffrey Daumier and John Wayne Gacy as one of America's most infamous serial killers. I think that you meant Al, and not Ted.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2014, 11:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
There must be more to it than this. Surely the head of the school can't be THAT stupid?

Don't be too sure about that. This is an -American- public school. Our public schools turn out a population that is 40 percent functionally illiterate.

Our public schools are 20 th in the world in Science, Math, Technology and Critical thinking. This is what our tax dollar buys.

ruveyn
no, this is a PRIVATE english-as-second-language school, with an OWNER who obviously has zero background in education. public schools don't have owners, they are run by a school district associated with a city or county, etc.

i hope the fired teacher sues, and is awarded the total of the owner's estate, including the "school".

BTW - if you go to the schools website: Nomen Global Language Center there's a box to send short messages to them right on the front page. it seems to work even if you give them a fake name and no email address :roll:

one of these days, i must ask one of my gay friends just what their agenda is, anyway.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 2:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

I dont get it. Part of the problem is that you seem to have your Bundies mixed up.

Al Bundy was the fictional dad on "Married with Children", and the all-to-real Ted Bundy ranked with Jeffrey Daumier and John Wayne Gacy as one of America's most infamous serial killers. I think that you meant Al, and not Ted.

I think it's called talking rubbish.
so let's keep going.
Jeffrey Daumier must have changed his name to Dahmer, to avoid being mistaken for the french homophone Honoré Daumier. Obviously he wouldn't want to be associated with that one.

... I can't come up with a john wayne gacy - homonymy joke. Just nothing comes to my mind. wait. wasn't he super-rich and dressed as a bat at night?