Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

antarticanrepublic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2014, 3:39 am

Marybird wrote:
I became obsessed with my family genealogy.
I searched the internet every day for almost 2 years.
I found old census records, family trees on genealogy sites, a genealogy book with pictures of my great grandparents and their parents.
I discovered the town in Germany where one of my great grandmother was born. I found archived documents from books in the Midwest online. I collected any documents and information I could find, Printed everything out and kept it in a folder.
The more names, places, and dates I found, the more searches I was able to do and the more I found.
I annoyed my immediate family with the details.
I even collected obituaries of deceased relatives. Mostly 2'nd and third cousins who I have never met. Is that weird?

I remember doing that when I was 9 ! !! My great grandfather had 12 brothers & I tried to learn about all of them. However I didnt make much progress.
I have like a hundred third degree cousins who are alive & I havent even met 20 of them ! !

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2014, 4:15 am

Dinosaurs. I like to catalogue them and keep articles about them.

And the different word orders of languages. That fascinates me too.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Have you visited the Find a Grave http://www.findagrave.com/ web site?

I thought you had to pay to find graves on that site?

I'll definitely check it out......

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 9:52 am

Marybird wrote:
I became obsessed with my family genealogy.

Awww, I LOVE doin' that, TOO!! ! I've been doin' it for YEARS (around 15), off and on. Someday I'm gonna PAY the subscription to be on one of those sites so I can dig deeper.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm

How many feel that obsessive interests in topics (long outside mainstream interests until recently) are interests that seem increasingly legitimatized as results of an "ever changing" world?

For example, my focused interests have related to 'artificial intelligence' technologies. Look how TECH. and increasingly Non-technology industries are eager to apply 'artificial intelligence.'

Another focused interest relates to environmental technologies, policies, and green economies e.g., interest in how far ahead parts of Europe (Scandinavian Countries, and Germany) regarding environmental agendas receive plenty of thought.

Now look at how boosting green-economies, and curbing climate-altering greenhouse gases at the same time is (way too slowly) getting more attention!

Many Technology and environmental related careers have niches that employ people with Aspergers (where focused interests actually become productive).

Much discussion, and growing agendas to help turn focused interests into productive livelihoods (and maybe making "the world" a slightly better-place) also needs a boost!

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2014, 9:36 am

Jenna403 wrote:

I suppose my special interest is information gathering in general. If something piques my interests, I will obsessively gather information until there is none left to gather.

Ditto on the gathering information until there is none left. Of course, hitting that wall was more feasible before the availability of the Internet. I've had a series of special interests over my life time. Currently my main thing is photography; not only am I into taking photos obsessively, but I also enjoy studying up on and collecting vintage cameras. I'll talk people's ears off about it. I've been into photography off and on since high school, but it's really become an all-consuming thing for the past 8+ years, and there's no sign this is just a passing phase. Virtually every social interaction that lasts more than 10 minutes will end up with me "lecturing" someone on my favorite topic. Being older, though, I usually can tell figure out when people are disinterested and I'll curb my dissertation if their eyes seem to glaze over.

When I was younger (I'm 43 now), I was into coin collecting and read up on everything the local library had about the subject - until there was no more to be found in my rural area, at least. In my early teens, it was bodybuilding.

These days, if I have hours to spare, I can get lost on Wikipedia reading up on all kinds of obscure topics, especially history, archaeology, etymology... well, all kinds of stuff. :)

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

My obsessions tend to change as regularly as a clock changes time! :D :wink: I was told this by no less than my psychiatric counselor.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2014, 4:25 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm somewhat technophobic. Seeing people walking around like zombies texting or yapping into their "smart" phones doesn't help.

I hate technology... except for vacuum tubes and 'old' technology!

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 5:40 am

I really only learned to read in the fourth grade when history started to be included. Because until I found history and social studies I was never really interested in anything

- Albert Einstein

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:51 am

r2d2 wrote:
I really only learned to read in the fourth grade when history started to be included. Because until I found history and social studies I was never really interested in anything

History and social studies rock! I was about the same age when I got hooked.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)