Do noisy neighbours drive you batty? A Rant.

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm

Alita wrote:
You sound like a really nice person little blue jay. And I know exactly how you're feeling.

Aw, thank you, that's so nice for you to say!

I totally agree with what you said about people's conversations on public transit! One day I was sitting on the bus and a teenage girl sits down beside me who was on her cellphone talking, and she was complaining about something that had happened the night before at a party, and she kept on using the "N" word (derogatory word for black people) I was absolutely mortified that anyone might think I was with her in any way! (The bus was packed and I had bags of groceries so I really couldn't move to another seat - where I was was the only spot where I could have my groceries in front of me) She just kept using the "N" word over and over and over. 8O She was old enough she should have known better, but aren't parents teaching kids proper manners anymore?? :roll: Does the whole bus-full of people have to hear that conversation??

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

I once had a neighbour who had an outdoors Wind-Chime. It drove me almost "Potty". Thankfully they moved out.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 3:39 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I've felt bothered by the noise of neighbors in every place I've lived other than my parents' home.

In the end I was the one who got evicted for bothering him. : (

I am the same way - every place I've lived I've been bothered by some inconsiderate idiots. Even when I was living with my mother, we were poor and never owned our own home, we lived in cheap apartments which had noisy people around.

Yeah, isn't that always the way? The complainer gets evicted not the complainee! :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Alita wrote:
You sound like a really nice person little blue jay. And I know exactly how you're feeling.

Aw, thank you, that's so nice for you to say!

I totally agree with what you said about people's conversations on public transit! One day I was sitting on the bus and a teenage girl sits down beside me who was on her cellphone talking, and she was complaining about something that had happened the night before at a party, and she kept on using the "N" word (derogatory word for black people) I was absolutely mortified that anyone might think I was with her in any way! (The bus was packed and I had bags of groceries so I really couldn't move to another seat - where I was was the only spot where I could have my groceries in front of me) She just kept using the "N" word over and over and over. 8O She was old enough she should have known better, but aren't parents teaching kids proper manners anymore?? :roll: Does the whole bus-full of people have to hear that conversation??

I'm surprised she got away with using that word.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 6:30 pm

DarkAscent wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
This morning I was at another friend's place, just waking up some time around noon, and one of his friends came over and started blasting music really loudly in the next room over. I could've f*****g sworn it was some bigass stereo system, but it was a mere iPod dock. I was so pissed, I was ready to break that stupid thing, but I decided to play it cool and have a shutdown instead of a meltdown. I grabbed a nearby pair of headphones and tried to drown it out with a noise generator app, but it didn't work and the headphones just made my head hurt. I forgot that that only works well when you have earbuds and not headphones. I remember acting kind of surly towards my friends, but at least I didn't outwardly freak out. Inwardly though, oh boy, I was mad.

Later on, when it was just me and the one friend, I told him about this and I said that I decided to let them have their fun. He told me I was a bit rude and that I could have just told them to turn it down, though it wasn't really a big deal anymore and there were no hard feelings. Next time, I don't think I'll be more polite, but I'll definitely be more direct about telling them to turn down their music. :P I'll just say something like "can you PLEASE turn that sh** down? I'm trying to get some rest here."

I can't imagine you getting angry or pissed off. You come across as laid-back, calm and amiable to me. :?

Trust me, I do, and it happens all the time. I just tend to be very passive aggressive, because when I was younger I was quite prone to outbursts, and I got in a lot of trouble for that.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Yeah, isn't that always the way? The complainer gets evicted not the complainee! :roll:

Yes! The justice of the renting situation always seems to be upside down and inside out!

I've wondered if it's just me and my over-sensitive issues, which I can see it would be. But then again, I really believe that even regular people without my issues would have a problem with some of the stuff posted on this thread.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 9:00 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
she used to stand there and projectile vomit and rub it in her hair when the attention wasnt directed at her,and she woud also sht in her hand,roll it into small balls and eat it if she wasnt getting her own way then throw the rest at the high ceiling because there wasnt anyway to get it down.

KoR, that is horrendous. 8O That has to win the thread for worst possible neighbor experience!

The screaming to trigger meltdowns because she'd figured out everyone's weakness is particularly heinous.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 9:50 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I really believe that even regular people without my issues would have a problem with some of the stuff posted on this thread.

Yes I agree!

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 9:55 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
she used to stand there and projectile vomit and rub it in her hair when the attention wasnt directed at her,and she woud also sht in her hand,roll it into small balls and eat it if she wasnt getting her own way then throw the rest at the high ceiling because there wasnt anyway to get it down.

KoR, that is horrendous. 8O That has to win the thread for worst possible neighbor experience!

The screaming to trigger meltdowns because she'd figured out everyone's weakness is particularly heinous.

Yes, that is disgusting. At least none of my experiences involved other peoples' bodily waste :eew:

AdamK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2014, 7:59 am

Does anyone mind reading another rant about this? I live in a house that's been made into two flats, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. I live on the ground floor. The guy upstairs is driving me nuts. He drinks during the day (I know this because I complained to the police about my situation and they found him drunk when they came to investigate), and then starts knocking into things and shouting at random times and slamming doors. I finished some volunteer work for a company a few weeks ago, and I'm not going back there till September. I have an induction for a volunteer position somewhere else later this week, although I might have to do a DBS check (the thing which used to be a CBS check) after the induction. So, I don't know when I can get back to working during the day. I(t could be several weeks. In the meantime I'm stuck inside, listening to the guy upstairs making noise. I have hyposensitive hearing. I can't block it out. I can't talk to him either, because he's a bully, who calls me a "Freak" or "Schizophrenic" whenever I try to have a civilised conversation with him. He throws half-eaten food out of his window as well, into the garden, which I share with him. I've complained to my housing agency but they only write letters to him, which he obviously ignores. I tried telling the police about it, but they say he's not a threat to me, and what he's doing isn't actually illegal, so all they can do is suggest to him that he should be quieter. I've had to deal with this for four years, since I moved in, but it's worse now because I have fewer things to do that take me out of the house. I don?t have nothing to do, but most of the things that need doing are inside my flat. I was dealing with it ok for the first couple of weeks, but last night I had a meltdown because of it and this morning I threw a book at the wall in frustration. I'm worried that I'm going to decide to complain to him directly in the heat of the moment, and that won't end well. It's not really anger I feel. It's frustration that I can't stop this. The ceiling and walls are thin. If someone wants to make noise then it's their right but it becomes irresponsible and selfish for him to make this much noise when he knows that other people can hear. He obviously just couldn?t care less as long as he?s doing what he wants. I?m a Christian so I?m supposed to forgive him but that doesn?t stop him from being a jerk. It's just not fair and I don't know what to do except complain about it on this website. I'm a good neighbour as well, which makes the frustration worse. I try my best to be quiet. Why can?t he?

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2014, 9:43 am

AdamK wrote:
I have hyposensitive hearing. I can't block it out. it becomes irresponsible and selfish for him to make this much noise when he knows that other people can hear. I'm a good neighbour as well, which makes the frustration worse. I try my best to be quiet. Why can?t he?

Oh no, rant away here! I don't mind! And I totally understand about not being able to block it out (I'm assuming you mean hypersensitive :) ) I thought about using earplugs but then I wouldn't hear my alarm clock! (not so much an issue now that I'm not working, but would have been a big issue then) Plus to have them in deep enough for them to be effective they hurt :(

I am a good neighbour too, but I am getting real fed up with being startled out of my sleep 2 or 3 times a week :evil: I explain this to my roommate and he doesn't get it - I say to him all the time "very few people like to be startled - I'm not one of them!" I try to be quiet too - why is it so much to ask that others do the same? :roll: I've been very quiet here for 2 and a half years!

I hate to say it but I've learned how to burn CD's and I burned one of some German hard rock music (I like it but I doubt noisy-mouth next door would!) and so help me next time she yells loud enough for my heart to jump I'm gonna set it up out there & crank it :o

Sorry about your neighbour's antics, AdamK. Gross that he throws food out into the garden that you use too! What if it attracted wildlife or rats or something? If your housing agency gets enough complaints don't they evict? And the name-calling "Schizo" etc is bullying behaviour! Sorry you have to go through that! I understand being so frustrated you throw things - I've lain awake in bed at night stewing over noisy-mouth next door! I stew & stew & stew, and I'll be like 'if she wakes me up tomorrow morning this is all the stuff I'm gonna scream at her ...... ' and then I make up very detailed rants & raves :twisted: Haven't gotten brave enough to do it yet! Plus we only rent here and both sides own their houses, so if they complain to our landlord guess who gets in sh*t?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

I really feel bad for your situation. Your neighbour sounds like my father - believe me - I understand about what all that noise is about! And of course the deaf ear when you complain.

My first suggestion would be to live somewhere else. Is that possible?

If you're stuck there, then the only things I can think of are white noise machine, earplugs, earphones (industrial strength.

Or all of them.

I have sensitive hearing but my hearing "resets" if I can get some quiet. My own favourite noise buster is an air conditioner or a fan. This falls into the category of white noise but I don't know if it's strong enough for the guy upstairs.

I hope your situation improves.

AdamK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2014, 5:49 am

I hope everyone else finds a way to deal with their noise issues. I know how irritating it is. Sensory issues, like being unable to block out white noise, are much harder to deal with than social issues in my opinion. Sorry if my spelling is sometimes wrong by the way. I have dyslexisa as well as aspergers, and sometimes I can't be bothered to copy and paste things into Microsoft Works just to spell-check them.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about my situation. I don't want to move, although I have considered living somewhere else before. Apart from the noise problems my flat is very nice. I'm in a nice, mostly quiet neighbourhood (very hard word to spell!) I have put effort into decorating my flat to make it feel very "Me." I've fixed things and repainted things and sealed up the cracks that ants used to use to get into the flat. I've worked to make it home, and I refuse to let other people force me to leave. I might try getting noise reduction headphones. I tried earplugs but they only blocked the noise a little. I'm having my induction in about an hour, so hopefully I'll be starting something soon that will keep me out of the flat more often.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 8:06 am

little_blue_jay wrote:
I hate to say it but I've learned how to burn CD's and I burned one of some German hard rock music (I like it but I doubt noisy-mouth next door would!) and so help me next time she yells loud enough for my heart to jump I'm gonna set it up out there & crank it :o

What bands? I love me some German metal. :twisted:

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
little_blue_jay wrote:

What bands? I love me some German metal. :twisted:

Just one band - Rammstein. Those guys are awesome. I can't speak German but I'm kinda teaching myself how to sing along with them :D I think it's turning into my latest special interest :lol: