Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2014, 11:24 am

Saw it on Friday. I guess I liked it, but especially since I read some of the comics not too long ago, I was hoping it would be more badass than this. (I'll explain if you don't get what I mean.)

Anybody else saw it?

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2014, 1:08 pm

I rather enjoyed it. The film was funny at times and had nice recurring jokes that weren't just tedious things. If you ignore the classic "Tragic Parent Death" Cliche, it's not bad. agreed though, i never read the comics :L

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm

Just watched it today. I thought it was OK. Worth the ticket to the cinema, but I found most of the characters to be rather bland.

It did have a completely *epic* line of dialogue, though:

Spoiler wrote:
Rocket (about Drax): Metaphors go over his head.

Drax the Destroyer: NOTHING goes over my head! ... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm

JamXmed wrote:
If you ignore the classic "Tragic Parent Death" Cliche, it's not bad. agreed though, i never read the comics :L

Um, I think I mentioned I read some of the comics in my post. And to be perfectly honest, I thought the cliche worked much better there - not to spoil anything since you've never read the comics, but at least there it gave Peter/Star-Lord a much more believable reason for being in outer space, as opposed to what the movie gave us.

I should also mention my thing about the movie being less badass than it should've been - I'm having the exact same reaction to Big Hero 6 (ironically, also based on a Marvel property, albeit one nobody has ever heard of) right now, judging from the marketing. And I never even read the comics of that (I did see some scans online, though). Just saying.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 12:46 pm

I actually liked it, it was worth looking forward to for months. I liked how it was less dark and serious than the other recent movies from Marvel, and actually had funny moments in it without it being too unrealistic. As in, there being too much humour. There was just enough, to show that people are still people. And other species too, I guess X)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

I saw GOTG yesterday with my family and we enjoyed watching GOTG a lot! :D
We all liked how the humor from the dysfunctional relationships between Star-Lord, Gomorra, Groot, Rocket, and Drax kept the characters likeable. Also, we liked Bradley Cooper's voice performance as Rocket.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a sidenote, am I the only one here on WP who thinks the upcoming Ant-Man movie might be a big black eye for the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 4:55 am

Saw it this past weekend loved it. Anyone else think Drax was very AS like?

Ghonx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm

Saw it last week, i admit it was a nice romp, but found the only character i could relate to was quill. the others seemed like the typical film stereotypes. Props to the post credits scene though, i never saw that coming. I had my fingers crossed for an Age of Ultron trailer .sigh.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:21 pm

Never read the comic. LOVED loved loved the movie. I'm a big fan of 70s-80s music myself, so I totally related to and highly enjoyed that aspect of the film. I also thought a lot of the dialogue was hilarious and well-written. My least favorite part of the movie was the stereotypical hot girl (greenie what's-her-name). Why couldn't she be awesomely funny and quirky like the other characters, instead of a complete Smurfette?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:45 pm

My wife and I absolutely laughed our heads off when we saw it! Maybe it will inspire all of us to be great heroes like Kevin Bacon. :lol:

RhizoRocko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2014, 11:05 pm

Long time lurker 1st post. Saw this movie (Movies/Film are my thing.) after it was over I said to myself (In that ominous voice in my head I'm sure you all know about), This was the Avengers if they had AS. I could relate with every character.

Star Lord: Our most human part. We are trying hard just to be someone no matter what how much you try (to be social, handle changes, handle life) something always goes wrong and we gotta roll with the punches. Sarcastic, witty, charm and dry humor through and through. The guy even has a stim, HIS TAPE-PLAYER!! !

Gamora: Our Super Abilities. Gamora received treatments from Thanos that enhanced her speed, strength, agility, and durability. We may fall short on some things but other/most things we excel or seem gifted at. The dancing thing, how many AS people get out and boogie? Not many!

Drax: there's not one day I learn a new metaphor expression that goes over my head (I thought I was fast enough to catch it.) He takes everything literal and takes everything to heart. I laughed so hard because for once I saw me from the outside.

Groot: The heart & empathy. Peace all around, deeply loves everything/everyone around him yet he doesn't say much and is to himself. If and when the time comes he stands strong and helps his friends/family. Whenever he was on screen I felt the joy of an animal or a dog, unconditional love. Although he can talk he tries to express his feelings/love "I'am Groot...". He's trying to do good and help by getting Rocket the Battery but he doesn't realize he's messing up.

Rocket Raccoon: One word... Meltdown! We all have it in us and this guy is it. Tormented, Manic and a fellow who is misunderstood in and out. He feels different (As he was experimented on, poked and prodded- Us getting misdiagnosed and getting the wrong prescription. He doesn't even realize he's a Raccoon- Kind of like us without diagnosis) When not melting down he is tech savvy (Especially with Prosthetics.) and is a master brain-stormer. He's all alone but he's got his "pet" Groot which he understands and cares for. (Sound familiar?)

I felt at the end when they saw Peter's DNA it was like his Diagnosis. He had a "aha that explains alot". You feel the same?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 12:10 am

Well, glad to hear from you.
Interesting take on the movie, though Drax was the only one I personally thought was autistic. I recall reading about an autistic boy who became very excited seeing a superhero (Drax) in a movie he could finally identify with.

DuckIsBored
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2014, 7:31 am

It's my new obsession I could watch it everyday and never get bored it's the greatest thing I've seen in my life

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 11:07 am

JamXmed wrote:
I rather enjoyed it. The film was funny at times and had nice recurring jokes that weren't just tedious things. If you ignore the classic "Tragic Parent Death" Cliche, it's not bad. agreed though, i never read the comics :L

My thoughts exactly. Had to learn a few things since I too, never read the comics.