Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

quitedifferent
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2014, 2:55 pm

I just joined marching band and I love it so much. It's one of the only places I can talk, because everyone there shares a common interest in music. Conversation and meeting people is much easier, because usually people approach you. I've not been given small talk yet and from what I can see (although I am not good at reading people) people have a genuine interest in what I have to say. The whole band is like a family, they all get along and new people like me are well-received. I can really be myself there, plus I've found many people into the things I feel passionate about. I never been around such friendly people before. Are any of you in marching band? If so, can you relate?
P.S. If you aren't in marching band and like to play an instrument, I say try it out, it's not a place filled with much anxiety.

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

I went through four years of high school marching band and three years of collegiate marching band (I played the flute and piccolo). While my college experience was fantastic up until the last year I was in it, my high school experience was nothing short of pure hell. The band director didn't like either my parents or me, and he pretty much let us know it any way he could. I have lots of horror stories, but I don't want to go into them.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 5:09 pm

used to play tuba in marching band. yes, it was a good place to make friends.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 5:48 pm

I was in band, it was some of the best parts of school. I also went to band camp at nearish (4hr drive) universities. I made friends in band, and learned to take risks there.

JaryT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2014, 1:54 am

Drum line.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

I'm in marching band. I've always felt very comfortable around band people. Most of them tend to be easier to talk to for me.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Hey ratchet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2014, 11:20 pm

Trombone and tuba! 8)