Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2014, 8:49 pm

Does anyone here on the autism spectrum have problems with your teachers/principals/guidance counselors? I have had lots of problems in the past with my principals/vice principals/ guidance counselors. Mostly throughout grade 7 and 8, I have been in conflicts with peers, and I have done things I'm not proud of in response to peers picking on me(name calling, swearing, middle finger, nasty looks etc). Like once in grade 7 there was this girl who didn't like me for some reason, and one day I thought I heard her talking about me, and I saw her give me a nasty look, I stuck up my middle finger in response, and I called her a b***h!

That obviously got me sent to the principals office, and I got blamed for the whole thing, even though they were provoking me first. I just hate the way schools solve conflicts these days. The vice principal even told my parents that they should get me a book about making the right choices(like those books designed for kids on the autism spectrum or other behaviour problems). I was 12-13 years old at the time, not 4! I have HFA, and I am in a regular class with indirect support when I need it, not a special ed class for the kids with severe behaviour problems!

I know that losing my temper is the wrong way now, I have learned that the hard way, but what makes me mad is how the vice principal and the guidance counselor blame my autism for every mistake I make at school. Has anyone else been singled out for their autism or AS by their teachers, principals, etc?

Meril
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2014, 10:36 pm

I suggest that at some point when you feel calm you try to talk to your principal or vice principal. Or maybe write a letter explaining this to them. In the future why don't you try to get away from the situation when you start to feel tense. If you ask you may even get a special place you can go to and a pass from class until you calm down. Anyhow I find that when dealing whith school staff ( or anyone who is frustrating but can make your life suck if you aren't careful) kiss butt as much as you can tolerate it. I hope I helped!

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 2:07 am

Alarm bells rang rang for me when you said the vice principle advised your parents to buy you a book on making the right choices on the Asperger's Spectrum. Since you're not getting any sympathy from the school my advice would be to find another school. A more experienced school dealing with AS would find you a buddy in your class to look after you and protect you from yourself from making outbursts affecting the other students. How is reading a book on AS at your age going to help you deal with other students? Can't understand the attitude of the school.

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2014, 8:57 am

Just this last year I was almost expelled and I was suspended three times! So I may not have any advice, but y'know it could've been worse hahah(:

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm

ExoMuseum wrote:
Just this last year I was almost expelled and I was suspended three times! So I may not have any advice, but y'know it could've been worse hahah(:

I spent a life-time blotting out six years of high school. Life gets a lot better by the time you get to college.

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2014, 9:57 pm

progaspie wrote:
Since you're not getting any sympathy from the school my advice would be to find another school.

Thank goodness that it was middle school, and I was only there for 2 years anyways. I am in high school now, but I'm glad that I am out of that school and I don't need to put up with that bull crap anymore!!

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

Yes, I had plenty of problems with staff at the secondary school that I have just graduated from. Some teachers used to force eye contact with me and attempted to force me to speak in situations that I couldn't speak in. Sometimes I would have a mutism period lasting for a whole day at school which was almost like a shut down. They probably were shut downs because I couldn't think properly and went through the day in a daze. I also had a few meltdowns there too where I kept screaming and lashing out, and the staff had no idea what to do. A few of my classmates used to try to force me to speak too until I would shutdown and they would leave me alone then. On top of that, I struggled with my hearing impairment and dermatillomania (skin-picking) which made it even more difficult because most of the teachers did not understand my problems nor my behaviour. The school tried to blame my parents for my behaviour. But they were, and always have been, extremely supportive and been there for me which I found to be unforgivable of the school. I am very glad to have graduated from that school but I still have nightmares about it every now and then.

My best suggestion is to go to a school that offers the best support and understanding for your needs. If you're in a mainstream school, perhaps speak to your teachers, head of year, form tutor about your ASD. Go through the perspectives with them and explain your needs and the understanding that you need. If they don't give it to you, keep asking them and telling them what you need. Yes, it's hard and frustrating when your teachers don't understand your disability and needs but don't give up.