Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

absalom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 9:29 am

I just saw the film "Crumb" and was very much struck that Robert and both of his brothers displayed many autistic traits. It was glaringly obvious. One brother (Charles, who committed suicide a year after the filming) never left home after high school but was quite brilliant and well spoken. The other brother was a hermit living in San Fransisco. All the brother were shunned by society except Robert, once he became famous. I listened to the commentary provided with the DVD and the commentators kept saying, "I don't know how they could be so brilliant but so messed up." It was very obvious to me.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:33 am

absalom wrote:
the commentators kept saying, "I don't know how they could be so brilliant but so messed up." It was very obvious to me.

Ummm A few faulty circuits will do that to you.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:46 am

Good movie and yeah...I think they probably are.You might also enjoy the movie...."American Splendar",I think it was based on him....the main character certainly seemed AS to me.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2007, 12:07 pm

Excellent movie. "Mr. Natural Does the Dishes" is on a metal sign in my kitchen. The content of the Crumb flick is very insightful not only about R., but the AS-type mental grid, too.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 2:21 pm

..." American Splendor " was based on Harvey Pekar , a friend of and a person who worked with Crumb . I guess you're suggesting that Pekar might be AS ?
Crumb himself is also portrayed (by an actor) in AS-the-movie .
There was an article on Max Crumb in the SF Chronicle here some months ago , on what he is doing now .

absalom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 2:51 pm

I can't remember his name, but an associate of Pekar was unofficially diagnosed by Pekar's wife as HFA in "American Splendor." This was the guy who was utilized by MTV for some kind of comedy spoof? Sorry but I can't recall his name. Harvey might be aspie too but pretty high functioning, it would seem to me.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 3:52 pm

He was "Real Nerd" Toby Radloff.

I emailed Wayne Harold, Toby Radloff's producer, shortly after American Splendour came out here in Ireland and asked him if Toby was an Aspie expecting a firm yes. Some of the scenes in American Splendour really cut me to the bone, such as Harvey Pekar and Toby talking about loneliness over a tray of jellybeans.

I asked Wayne if Toby was autistic. Wayne emailed me back within half an hour telling me that Toby's friends discussed the possibility with Toby over the years. Yes, Toby is an Aspie but he prefers to think of himself as Real Nerd Toby Radloff, that keeps him happy, that is his identity.

I later emailed someone called Jim, can’t remember who he was, it was a few years ago now. Anyway here is what he said to me.

Quote:
Mr. Jordan - Thanks for the note. After reading up on AS, I have no doubt that your diagnosis is correct. When I talked with Toby about it, he showed no real interest in determining whether he had it or not.

I think he's come to grips with who he is and genuinely would not trade it for "normalcy", whatever that is.

Good luck with your cause.

Jim

Anyway allot of enlighten ones contacted Toby and others after I did. I’m sure Toby et al. are sick of Aspergers by now. One gentleman from the UK sent a 35 page hand written description of AS/autism to Toby, there is dedication for you.

Quote:
“To Be Interested in Old Music Is To Be a Social Outcast!"- R. Crumb

To be honest, Crumb and Pekar are Aspies. Toby, judging from his additional language peculiarities (monotone voice) is most likely high functioning autistic, I'd expecxt he had a language delay in childhood.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2007, 4:17 pm

very well could be AS. i saw that doc, years ago, and remember thinking that i could relate waaay too well with Crumb and his strange antisocial brothers. Harvey Pekar could possibly be, but his "file clerk" friend most definatly is on the spectrum. (i forget his name). good movies tho!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 4:19 pm

I've heard about these movies, but have never checked them out for rental.
Are they really that good ???

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2007, 4:20 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:

yes. rent them. you will like.

absalom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 6:20 pm

Both films should be on the autistic "must see" list.

It is a shame there was not more awareness about HFA to help Charles Crumb, he was clearly crushed by life and it's a profound tragedy that he took his own life.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 7:49 pm

ASS-P wrote:
..." American Splendor " was based on Harvey Pekar , a friend of and a person who worked with Crumb . I guess you're suggesting that Pekar might be AS ?
Crumb himself is also portrayed (by an actor) in AS-the-movie .
There was an article on Max Crumb in the SF Chronicle here some months ago , on what he is doing now .

Sorry,my bad.You are correct and I misspoke.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:03 pm

...'Salright ! !! !! !! :twisted: :) :D :lol: :)

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:13 pm

My husband and I only recently saw American Splendor (about Harvey Pekar). His wife uses the term "borderline autistic" concerning Toby and it makes historical sense as Asperger's wasn't coined yet and "high functioning" wasn't used by the lay public. I think Toby (as portrayed in the movie) is classic autistic, for what it's worth. I just think the pervasiveness of stereotypes prevent people from recognizing autistic people who are able to work and socialize (at whatever level).
Harvey certainly seems Aspie. In fact, we exchanged a lot of knowing glances throughout the movie, but shouted in laughter when Harvey's wife (can't remember her name, Gloria?) yells, "Use your inside voice!" :lol:

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2008, 5:44 pm

Interesting. I had seen both "American Splendor" and a documentary on Robert Crumb and felt a strange kinship with both guys. Would it surprise me if either were on the spectrum? No. Would it surprise me if they pursued the diagnosis and went public with it? Yes.

It would be neat, though, to add either of them into the League of Extraordinary Aspies heh :wink:

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:53 pm

blackdove wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

yes. rent them. you will like.

Add my recommendation, too (for both "Crumb" & "American Splendor").

Saw "Crumb" in theater when it came out in 1995 (9 years before my dx) & was struck by all 3 brothers' oddness/eccentricity.
Later, seeing "American Splendor", I identified with aspects of both Harvey & his wife. After my dx, I thought back to the Toby character & wondered about his likely label/category-but couldn't recall which film that was in, until someone reminded me about "American Splendor".

So, yeah-I appreciate seeing confirmation of my hunches (am not usually skilled at "spot the aspie"-but occasionally I get a certain sense of "this has got to be someone on the spectrum").