Anyone been through vocational rehabilitation?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am using them as a last resort. I am 2 1/2 months into a 7 month training course.

Disadvantage?s.
As mentioned they slot you for office clerk jobs.
One way of doing things for people with a variety of disabilities.
Related to the above lack of understanding of disabilities. Examples are Handicapped Parking spaces in the back of the Parking lot. Fluorescent lighting.
To noisy and crowded. One teacher has a piercing voice. Non-Autistics complain about her.

Advantages
Staff and students are generally very nice.
Teacher?s are effective.
I have worked with Microsoft Office since the late 1990?s but I am learning new interesting and faster techniques.

Wow! Didn't know VR tries to place you only in office jobs. Now I'm really glad I have nothing to do with them anymore.

They might try and place you in stock work. One caveat, The states run them so where you live it might be different. In NY they pay private business schools to do the training.

What's frustrating is my parents are pushing me to get the services back when I really don't want to. They weren't helpful to me in the first place.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:47 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am using them as a last resort. I am 2 1/2 months into a 7 month training course.

Disadvantage?s.
Related to the above lack of understanding of disabilities. Examples are Handicapped Parking spaces in the back of the Parking lot. Fluorescent lighting.
To noisy and crowded. One teacher has a piercing voice. Non-Autistics complain about her.

Advantages
Teacher?s are effective.
I have worked with Microsoft Office since the late 1990?s but I am learning new interesting and faster techniques.

Wow! Didn't know VR tries to place you only in office jobs. Now I'm really glad I have nothing to do with them anymore.

They might try and place you in stock work. One caveat, The states run them so where you live it might be different. In NY they pay private business schools to do the training.

What's frustrating is my parents are pushing me to get the services back when I really don't want to. They weren't helpful to me in the first place.

you can request a different person. ask who is the best and most open. they also can't tell you what to do. so you can say I want to do ____ and want help getting to it. they are there to help you meet your work goals.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm

sly279 wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Disadvantage?s.

Advantages
Teacher?s are effective.

you can request a different person. ask who is the best and most open. they also can't tell you what to do. so you can say I want to do ____ and want help getting to it. they are there to help you meet your work goals.

My main issue with them is that they're a one size fits all agency. I don't think they are willing to make reasonable accommodations for those with ASD. My other issue with them is that they try to pigeonhole you into a particular job category. I have told them several times I want to change my goal to working in a retail or corporate environment but they said based on the results of my vocational assessment I had done about a month ago, they think data entry or office work would be best suited to me. Well, the truth is, it is NOT what I really want to do now and in the long term.

I think the main reason my parents want me to reconsider services with them is because they think I'll have a better chance of getting a job at a place like Publix, which is very accommodating of people with disabilities than if I didn't have the services at all. It is something to think about; however, I'm not entirely sure I want to do it.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 3:43 pm

maybe the local branch or likely the person yo met with, but the agency as a whole isn't that way. they can't tell you what to do. you have legal rights with them as with any other gov branch. they can' say yeah this is what you are going do. or they'd be forcing me into a mechanic shop.

what kind of accommodations do you want from them? or would be needed for someone with ASD.

if I was you I'd request another rep then one that will help you obtain your employment goal nor their ideal of it.

when I first met mine she thought I should do automotive cause I have a degree in it, but I was like nope, I can't do that work. I explained why it wouldn't work out for me, so now we are considering security, auto parts, retail. which are things we discussed. i'd prefer security as it pays more. so they are going pay for me to get certified.

what's publix ? is that where you want to work or your parents want?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

sly279 wrote:
maybe the local branch or likely the person yo met with, but the agency as a whole isn't that way. they can't tell you what to do. you have legal rights with them as with any other gov branch. they can' say yeah this is what you are going do. or they'd be forcing me into a mechanic shop.

what kind of accommodations do you want from them? or would be needed for someone with ASD.

if I was you I'd request another rep then one that will help you obtain your employment goal nor their ideal of it.

when I first met mine she thought I should do automotive cause I have a degree in it, but I was like nope, I can't do that work. I explained why it wouldn't work out for me, so now we are considering security, auto parts, retail. which are things we discussed. i'd prefer security as it pays more. so they are going pay for me to get certified.

what's publix ? is that where you want to work or your parents want?

Publix is a supermarket in FL. They are great at hiring people with disabilities and I do want to work there eventually. There is only one VR counselor at the office I go to.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 12:15 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
I don't think they are willing to make reasonable accommodations for those with ASD.

If not lack of willingness it is lack of understanding because we are in many ways fundamentally different. It does prepare you for the world of work where the systems are set up by NT's for NT's to make money, not to accommodate us. Since you are young I hope that in your lifetime the decision makers will realize accommodating us will in the long run help them make money. But for now, generally it it all about as making as much profit as soon as possible. Long term planning is an afterthought, if it thought of at all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BlueBean
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

I have a DVR appointment on the 29th of this month. I'm willing to give it a chance. If nothing else, I can post a status update in this topic about my experiences with them in a couple weeks.