Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspERMD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2014, 2:13 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Having said that, many, many years ago I did wear my perfume under all circumstances, and I actually felt really upset if I happened to forget to put it on, so much so that one morning on my way to work, I realized I'd forgotten to put on my perfume, and I felt so "wrong" that I stopped into a store to use a test sample of it on my wrists!!

I think I was a bit obsessed during that time, and to wear it out and about had become one of my routines/habits that are upsetting to break for aspie reasons in me.

This is me. If I'm not wearing Tresor or Amazing Grace I'm not happy. It's like a fly in my brain. In fact I need to get some samples to keep in my bag because I lost the little one I had. I try to wear just a little Tresor or just amazing grace which just has a "just showered" scent to avoid offending others because although I LOVE great perfumes and colognes and could smell them all day certain scents irk me to no end and I feel rageful about it...there's a certain scent that's in like CK and a lot of other perfumes and I HATE it!😁😁😁

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 11:34 am

Amazing Grace sounds intriguing -- I'm interested in the idea of something having a "just showered" scent! I need to go and find that and take a sniff.

I don't know how it was that I managed to break away from my over-strong attachment to always wearing perfume to leave the house -- I think I kind of stopped when I moved to a place where it was so hot and sweaty that it evaporated on me anyway, and slowly I began to give up, and I lost the habit.

I do still like to have a little spritz of Pleasures on my wrist when at home at the weekend, these days, though. And I'd really like to check out that Amazing Grace.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm

In general I don't like anything that smells. Most perfumes smell very artificial and that puts me off.

I also think there is a psychological factor in it. Smells often bring back the emotion that was associated with them in the past. Perfumes smell of the BO that is hidden (not always successfully) behind them. Perfumes also smell of the effort of the person using it to be presentable. Those factors also put me off.

However, I do like very subtle citrus (lemon, grapefruit, lime or orange) perfumes although I don't really use them.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 9:57 am

I am the same... I love fresh scents and have really started to get into those as I have gotten older... I have really grown out of the floraly girly scents. Now I am all about clean and comfort. I don't really have an ussue with overwhelming scents.. Except when ladies at church would bathe in their perfume before standing right next to me.. Bleh! Also, a certain person who I am not on good terms with would always wear vanilla musk so now anytime I smell it, I think of a cheap woman who just got back from the bar.... Which is too bad because I want to use perfumes with vanilla... Oh well

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2014, 4:52 am

nyxjord wrote:
I am the same... I love fresh scents and have really started to get into those as I have gotten older... I have really grown out of the floraly girly scents. Now I am all about clean and comfort. I don't really have an ussue with overwhelming scents.. Except when ladies at church would bathe in their perfume before standing right next to me.. Bleh! Also, a certain person who I am not on good terms with would always wear vanilla musk so now anytime I smell it, I think of a cheap woman who just got back from the bar.... Which is too bad because I want to use perfumes with vanilla... Oh well

I have a lingering smile from reading about your aversion to the perfumed ladies at church. I attend Catholic Church due to some residual Christianity in my soul but mainly because my wife likes me to go. This last Sunday I was sitting quietly when I was ordered by my wife to get on my knees and pray and I put my hands in the air to say that I wasn't going to. She did not say anything till later that day. I was admonished for not setting a good example for the children. My answer was that there was no way (irrespective of the need to set a good example) that I was going to kneel and pray and thereby put my face that close to the purple-grey perfumed hairdo of the elderly lady sitting in front of me. My wife found this very amusing and I was pardoned.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2014, 5:10 am

I've got congenital anosmia (no sense of smell from birth) so I don't know what perfumes and cologne smell like. Nor do I know what it is like to have a sense of smell. The only stuff that I can smell is olbas oil which I love to sniff.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 5:27 am

I find perfumes/colognes overpowering and disturbingly unnatural.

BioBird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2014, 5:09 pm

nyxjord: I finally got around to sampling D&G's Light Blue, and may I just say... I am enamored. *0*
You are so correct about that relaxing "die down" on the fragrance. I don't even mind the citrusy+fresh notes at the beginning because of that. It's just such a round and stretched out fragrance; not too much going on, not an overly cluttered scent, just very organized and pleasing. Personally, I think it's so relaxing /because/ of that organized feeling it seems to entail. Also, I suppose the fact that it smells like very attractive and affluent men also helps. hahah
I may just have to buy this stuff. Thanks again for the suggestion!

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 9:17 am

Biobird: sorry I have not posted in awhile.. I had things going on at school this whole week. Do you have any idea what the particular ingredient it is of the drydown that is so comforting? I was thinking the wood but have never smelled it before, so I can't be sure. Any ideas..?