Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 12:22 pm

I don't care what people watch in their own homes, and I know it is the right of a business owner to play whatever they want in their own establishment, but when it runs rampant that one "news" network has a 24/7 feed to consumers who have no option to filter it in public places other than earplugs, there should be an intervention. I thought subliminal advertising was illegal, and this is essentially the same thing. When people are eating, shopping, working out or whatever in a public place and the same message is constantly playing in the background, that is an indoctrination technique, and I would say the same thing about any other programming choice. Especially when children are involved. Fox News is a propaganda network, with an insidious agenda. And it is NOT to inform.

http://www.turnofffox.org/

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 12:45 pm

turn off cnn and msbn too tired of seeing their indoctrination biased news.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 12:48 pm

sly279 wrote:

I have never been in a public establishment that plays MSNBC 24/7 to unaware consumers. I have never been to a public establishment that plays MSNBC, period. I don't think it is the agenda of the parent company of MSNBC to spread a particular political message. Much of what MSNBC covers is actually detrimental to the parent company, and the show hosts acknowledge this fact. MSNBC is not a propaganda arm of GE, it is merely an investment.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:30 pm

This again.....
Some establishments do play CNN and I've only noticed because I happened to loop up at the screen and see the CNN logo.
I don't go to any establishment to listen to news from any source. If i want news I get it online at my convenience.
If your'e not listening to it then you're not listening to it. Period.
There's more to the method of subliminal messaging than just having the news on. Those who feel otherwise have the option to not frequent the establishments that regularly have Fox on.
We've been over this before and I thought it had been hashed out and laid to rest then.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:39 pm

I haven't seen any sort of news on tv in public places,at the doctors or dentists office it's always on a soap opera,gross.But I don't get out much.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:55 pm

/\ Once in a while an eating establishment will have it or just about any other business. It's their store so it's really a non-issue, especially if you don't actively listen to it while there.....

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 2:07 pm

Raptor wrote:
This again.....
Some establishments do play CNN and I've only noticed because I happened to loop up at the screen and see the CNN logo.
I don't go to any establishment to listen to news from any source. If i want news I get it online at my convenience.
If your'e not listening to it then you're not listening to it. Period.
There's more to the method of subliminal messaging than just having the news on. Those who feel otherwise have the option to not frequent the establishments that regularly have Fox on.
We've been over this before and I thought it had been hashed out and laid to rest then.

"If your'e not listening to it then you're not listening to it. Period. "

Not true. When this stuff is going on in the background, and people are preoccupied with doing other things, it will seep into your mind. And if it is continuous, over a long period of time, unfiltered and unchecked by the mind, it will affect and influence attitude, behavior and ideology. Which is exactly why it is done. People in public places are usually too busy to filter background input, especially children. Children are like deer in headlights to this stuff. I don't care how intelligent or clever a person is, we are all affected by what goes on in our environment. And most people, in public places, do not pay attention to this stuff, but it is going into your brain, and continuous exposure to the same message, over and over, conditions the human mind. Just as in the case of most scientific information, you don't have to believe it for it to be true. And this is science. People who do marketing know this.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm

I don't eat out,so that explains that.Got Arby's from take out window yesterday,and it was bad,all I tasted was salt.
I'd just sit where I couldn't hear it.But it may be hard for some to screen out the chatter from the tv.I was at a Podunk airport yesterday,the background noise from the numerous tvs advertising Branson was overwhelming combined with the people noise and the baggage.
So to me any tv in an area is annoying unless I have an interest in what's on,this may be the case for others,you can't tune it out.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm

khaoz wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I have never been in a public establishment that plays MSNBC 24/7 to unaware consumers. I have never been to a public establishment that plays MSNBC, period. I don't think it is the agenda of the parent company of MSNBC to spread a particular political message. Much of what MSNBC covers is actually detrimental to the parent company, and the show hosts acknowledge this fact. MSNBC is not a propaganda arm of GE, it is merely an investment.

Oh, they put it on standard at my university gym on one of the screens. I had enough one day and went and asked the kid at the desk to turn it to something more neutral. Kid, imagination-free, said, "like...what?" So I said C-SPAN, PBS, CNN, etc. Problem fixed.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 3:14 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
khaoz wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Oh, they put it on standard at my university gym on one of the screens. I had enough one day and went and asked the kid at the desk to turn it to something more neutral. Kid, imagination-free, said, "like...what?" So I said C-SPAN, PBS, CNN, etc. Problem fixed.

Are you sure the staff puts it on at the gym? Most gyms I have gone to let the members select the channels. Maybe a member put it on prior to your arrival. Every gym I have used, the remotes are all over the place for anyone to pick up and use. Even in a Dr office the patients usually control the tv, but not at McDonalds, which is my primary issue. I believe it is a management decision, and I believe it has been dictated. I would venture to say that a larger percentage of McDonalds run Fox News on their tvs than any other business in America and I have no doubt corporate office has influence on that policy.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2014, 3:31 pm

You think Fox is biased check out Newsmax

News media tends not to want to tells the masses its their fault. They don't want to make people feel uncomfortable and tune out. Its always someone else's fault and were right. They also tend go from one attention getting story to the next. In the service of this distortion or omission of facts is the norm. In some sense the media is a mindless animal always seeking attention.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm

khaoz wrote:
Even in a Dr office the patients usually control the tv, but not at McDonalds, which is my primary issue. I believe it is a management decision, and I believe it has been dictated. I would venture to say that a larger percentage of McDonalds run Fox News on their tvs than any other business in America and I have no doubt corporate office has influence on that policy.

Stop eating at McDonald's, your overall health and sanity will improve. Google "McDonald's burger that doesn't decompose" for an eye opening look at the chemicals used in McD "food". For something even grosser, try "chicken nugget goo" or look up the documentary Supersize Me. McD has so much fail going on that a TV tuned to Fox News is the least of their customers' problems.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

khaoz wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Please watch this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKKkGl3TnY[/youtube]

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:12 pm

Stannis wrote:
khaoz wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Please watch this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKKkGl3TnY[/youtube]

Yes, I know. I watch Cenk all the time. I watched this when it originally aired, but I still don't see MSNBC pushing their agenda (whatever it is) in privately owned businesses. I have seen reporrts that say it is McDonalds Corporate policy that all McDonalds tv's only broadcast Fox news, even though I know that some McDonalds play a McDonalds channel. And MSNBC has fired hosts for criticizing Conservatives also. MSNBC hosts routinely mention GE as one of the Corporations who skirt federal taxes, even though GE is management. This video may be true, but I still don't see or know of any restaurants or businesses who direct a policy of only broadcasting MSNBC, . That is the difference.

I have also seen the excuse made that McDonalds plays Fox news because it is the least violent channel on tv, which is obviously BS. The rhetoric and method of delivery on Fox news is more verbally abrasive and contentiously violent than some war movies. I dont see anyone on MSNBC jabbing their fingers in anyones faces and popping a jugular the way O'Reilly and Hannity do.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 6:05 pm

Just to be clear, my problem with Fox is not so much about politics as with tone. Fox is not in the business of news. That is not their agenda. Orielly and Hannity do not claim to be journalists. They refer to themselves as social commentators. Their business is opinion. They should just remove the label "news" completely. I admit that MSNBC hosts are left leaning, but they are not sitting in their chairs trolling the emotions of Americans. They are not trying to Pss people off the way Fox does. They are not disrespectful to guests the way Fox is. And they do not intentionally lie and mislead the way Fox has been proven to do. If an MSNBC host makes a mistake, they most generally admit to it and correct themselves. They don't try to intimidate guests into giving the responses that suits their agenda. Fox news hosts do..on a regular basis. And no, I don't get all my news from MSNBC. I can't stand MSNBC morning or daytime. I don't care for Sharpton at all and Ed Schultz can be abrasive and persistent but he is not out right rude and disrespectful of guests like most of Fox news hosts are. CNN I don't even bother with.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 7:03 pm

the McDonalds here seem to play cnn all the time. though its just one tv in the corner, you can sit on the other side of the store and not even hear it or know its there.

places that have two have tended to display cnn on one and fox on the other. I don't think its the conspiracy to brainwash people that you think it is.

personally all of the national news channels are biased and try to indoctrinate people, so I don't watch any of them.