Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 4:13 am

If there is autism there is probably an opposite condition. Actually I'm 99% sure there is. I call them super NTs. Super NTs are usually women and they tend to have careers in teaching or hospitality. I notice that super NTs tend to gravitate towards "special" people.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 4:32 am

Thread title. XD

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 6:18 am

I can agree with women being the usual super NT's.. they're more sociable than men. I guess that comes from staying back in the camp while the men are out hunting.

But there are also super NT men. Top salesmen, extroverted sportsmen, baby-kissing politicians, people who make a living off of being able to read people, schmooze a crowded room and sell them the unsellable.

(For some reason this notion reminds me of Douglas Addams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the original Earth inhabitants. ... hmm, I wonder if Arthur Dent was an Aspie...)

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 7:01 am

I always imagined that super NTs would be politicians, the amount of social cognition required in order to "keep track" of everyone and everything people-related is amazing.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
If there is autism there is probably an opposite condition. Actually I'm 99% sure there is. I call them super NTs. Super NTs are usually women and they tend to have careers in teaching or hospitality. I notice that super NTs tend to gravitate towards "special" people.

There are the dominant queen-bee types like from the "Mean Girls" movie.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm

olympiadis wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Some of them are. Other super NTs could be people who enjoy "helping out" with special ed kids. Super NTs could also be soccer moms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:37 pm

I do not see any reason why there should not be an NT spectrum.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 12:28 am

^neither do i. there's as much variety outside the autism spectrum than there is within it.

olympiadis wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

you mean The Plastics?
i love that movie. :lol:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2014, 12:57 am

My son works in sales. This requires a huge degree of social interaction and understanding how people think and he's really good at it. I told him when he was young that he would be as he had this ability to manipulate people and get himself out of trouble, even his head teacher called him "a loveable rogue" :) I'm amazed really that someone with so much social ability could have come from me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:12 am

I must have missed something as I am still in the dark as to what the hell as 'super NT' is supposed to be.

Do you mean a really outgoing NT, one that is exceptionally good at socialization? just confused still.

Also an NT is just someone with a brain that functions normally....with normal neurology, so what would there be a spectrum of for them....aside from the fact neurotypicals can also get mental illnesses like non-neurotypicals I just don't see there being much varying degrees of having normal neurology seems like that sort of thinking will lead to people saying things like 'well I am half autistic and half neurotypical' and then I just have to go :roll:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:19 am

Isn't that what's known as a "Type A" personality?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:28 am

I suck as an NT; I'm much better as an Aspie. I'm within the lower rung in pragmatic ability. At times, I could even rise to the level of a "half-NT" LOL

I think of a "Super NT" as being "hyperpragmatic," Not only are their pragmatic skills optimal; they can reflect upon any mistakes they make, and adjust accordingly. They can learn from their mistakes without being defensive about them.

They know how to say the right things, all the time, in exactly the right manner, ALL THE TIME, even when there's so much variance in people's "styles." They say the right thing to a person with autism; they say the right thing to a person with schizophrenia; they say the right thing to their supervisors; they are able to advocate for the organization which they belong to, and bring in much philanthropic money via their skillful pragmatic skills.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 10:28 am

I view "super NTs" as being people who are confident, extroverted, generally carefree, and also kick ass at communication and dealing with other people. In other words, the opposite of me. They are who I wish I could be, but cannot be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 12:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I suck as an NT; I'm much better as an Aspie. I'm within the lower rung in pragmatic ability. At times, I could even rise to the level of a "half-NT" LOL

I think of a "Super NT" as being "hyperpragmatic," Not only are their pragmatic skills optimal; they can reflect upon any mistakes they make, and adjust accordingly. They can learn from their mistakes without being defensive about them.

They know how to say the right things, all the time, in exactly the right manner, ALL THE TIME, even when there's so much variance in people's "styles." They say the right thing to a person with autism; they say the right thing to a person with schizophrenia; they say the right thing to their supervisors; they are able to advocate for the organization which they belong to, and bring in much philanthropic money via their skillful pragmatic skills.

I don't think that would be an NT, maybe just a super human of some kind....I mean I don't know that NTs even have enough brain power to do all that.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 1:33 pm

I think the idea of super NTs can be meaningfully connected to the work of Dr> Stanley Milgram in the Nebraska/Small World experiments that gave the world the idea of "six degrees of separation" and the understanding that there were a small number of people with much more extensive social networks than normal. These people are sometimes called "Super Connectors."

Like many, many other people, I know such a person at work. I am amazed that he always remembers people's names and faces. He remembers people he worked with for just a few hours years ago and hasn't seen since. He has friends in every city and all over the planet. I can get tired just overhearing his half of a few phone calls.

I think this kind of hypersocial, deeply networked person can be thought of as super NT.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I must have missed something as I am still in the dark as to what the hell as 'super NT' is supposed to be.

Do you mean a really outgoing NT, one that is exceptionally good at socialization? just confused still.

Also an NT is just someone with a brain that functions normally....with normal neurology, so what would there be a spectrum of for them....aside from the fact neurotypicals can also get mental illnesses like non-neurotypicals I just don't see there being much varying degrees of having normal neurology seems like that sort of thinking will lead to people saying things like 'well I am half autistic and half neurotypical' and then I just have to go :roll:

I think your confusion stems from your perception of the word "normal" as a concrete thing with a validity in reality. The word "normal" is actually a concept we are associating with a CURRENT set of traits that happen to be in the majority of individuals making up our overall society. ASD has its own set of traits. In a society of ASD individuals "normal" would have a completely different association within that scope.

So, NTs have a collection of certain traits/characteristics, and therefore could also be placed on a spectrum of severity.