Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Space
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 4:41 pm

That helps, thanks. I am in the middle of my undergrad (political science), and have always been interested in Law. I have an ok GPA right now, but want to get it better to end on a high note. I can't really comment about getting into law school until I finish my undergrad and write the LSAT, but just getting into law school seems like a big hurdle to me, let alone finishing it or flourishing in the career. I think I would need to really find my own niche in the profession (like you) to be successful at it, as I am not a natural people person, and I could see myself having troubles working with a lot of people or in a professional firm. I am a pretty off-beat person, and my AS is more of an issue with people who I don't know well, or in the workplace (it has been in the past). There are lots of things about the legal profession that sound like I would have difficulty with, but it is a versatile degree and profession so I'm sure I could find my own level of comfort in it, like you. Wish me luck in my studies!

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2007, 11:54 pm

As someone who is considering both law and medicine, I am coming to the observation that Aspies are more likely to be successful in law than in medicine. Remember that law involves mastery of complex sets of rules, which Aspies are very good at. Also remember that most people go to law school thinking they'll be in a courtroom for most of the time, when in reality there are plenty of jobs outside of the courtroom, which will probably work well for Aspies. And combining law with knowledge of science or technology always helps.

As for medicine, the following problems exist that are not issues for law:
1. Physical coordination and/or spatial skills, in varying degrees, is necessary for medicine.
2. The work hours for medicine are universally very long, at least in the US. This leads to more chance of a meltdown, and more chance of a loss of physical coordination or social skills due to stress. Even NT medical residents lose social and coordination skills under stress and sleeplessness, so things might be quite a bit worse for us.

Krigo wrote:
I do not mean to crush your dream or anything but here:" http://www.asperger-marriage.info/survg ... ter15.html " a guy with Asperger's think that being a lawyer is a bad choice if you have this "condition".
But you seem motivated and I have heard that being a doctor isn't something for someone with Asperger's syndrome aswell, but some of them do good.
Personally I don't know much about this profession, but I would guess that generally people with asperger could do very good in analyzing the laws etc.(if they are interested in this ofcourse), as for the social part I am not that sure.
Anyways, I hope someone more qualified can give you better advices. :D

Good luck!

EDIT: Just found this, so check it out if you haven't read it: http://wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name ... ic&t=19931