Copenhagen in flames - riots throughout the city

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 5:18 am

Copenhagen witnessed violent riots yesterday following the eviction of the occupied house "ungdomshuset". Ungdomshuset was given to the youth of Copenhagen in 82, and has housed a rich underground scene. Björk and Nick Cave are a few of the many artists who have performed in the house. Ungdomshuset was sold, by the city, to a right wing Christian sect, who have turned down several generous offers to sell the house to an organization who wanted to give the house back to the young people. The sect, "Faderhuset", is expected to tear the house down, with police protection, as soon as it is possible.
Special forces entered the heavily barricaded house, at 7 o'clock yesterday morning, by helicopter and in containers lifted by cranes. They gained control of the house in under 10 minutes.
Violent demonstrations and riots spread throughout Copenhagen following the eviction, and have continued all night. Activists from the rest of Denmark and Europe are gathering in the city, and riots are expected throughout the weekend.

Anxiled
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2007, 5:39 am

I'm surprised. Not that they are rioting but for their reason for rioting. A Danish woman had told me that there are a lot of hate crimes and bigotry against Middle-Eastern immigrants. When I read the topic to this thread, a pogrom was my first reaction,

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 7:01 am

This sounds like the usual Christian bigotry against youths having any kind of fun, not bigotry against Moslems.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 7:24 am

Anxiled - both anti-muslim tendencies and the sale of Ungdomshuset illustrate a political trend towards the right in Denmark (and everywhere else?) which works against anything "different". The riots probably demonstrate growing opposition to these tendencies and also the amount of frustration building up in some segments of the population.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 8:44 am

The rioters are a group of spoiled middleclass kids, who ally themselves with mainly german neo-nazi's and skinheads. Known as violence-psychopaths. there were 37 people arrested inside the house, 19 of those were foreigners.

I support the idea of this kind of house but do not support the violence, people who throw big rocks at other people and wear masks.

The house would still exist if the users had behaved the way they should. The did not live up to the obligations they had made with the City of Copenhagen. Thats why they sold the house.

catsarenice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2007, 9:35 am

Its funny what a hypocracy "christians" are, they'll push their morals on you, but turn around and do something completely messed up - look at all the priests molesting kids. And nobody in the church seems to care, even worse, they cover it up.

Religion is evil.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 9:44 am

You are very wrong - where do you have that infomation from? The users of the house have always been strongly anti-fascist, and have NEVER allied themselves with neo-nazis.
I don't know who has come to the city to fight, but you are right, some of them seem insane.
I agree that violence is not a good idea, and strongly condemn the rioting. It is not acceptable.
But I am sad that a house that was culturally unique, socially very mixed (no, not all middle-class kids - although this is what some politicians have said to the press) and full of diversity, is gone.
I live a very "normal" life in Copenhagen, right next to another "hot spot", Christiania. Sure, it is irritating with loud music, drunks, and the rest of it (is this what you mean about breaking the city's rules?). but I think a good democracy must be able to accept those who for one reason or the other have a different lifestyle, instead of insisting on mainstreaming everyone.
I agree the Christians seem pretty hypocritical :D

Hans_Solo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2007, 7:04 pm

R.I.P. Ungdomshuset. :(