No, the whole thing is exciting. 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Only the first half - the second half rocks. 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Yes. It's god-awful tedious. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:32 pm

I'm halfway through A Feast For Crows (book 4), and good golly is it boring.
Please someone tell me, does it ever get better? Will Tyrion EVER put in an appearance? I'm so tired of the Ironmen and the Martells. I don't give a flying rat's @rse about any of them.
Please no spoilers, though. I haven't watched any of the tv shows, either.
Just tell me if I should keep reading, or look for a synopsis online.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm

Tyrion does not make an appearance. Books four and five were split by character, so Tyrion, Dany and a few others are not seen until Dance.

The last 2 books are amazing. Feast is the most subtle and philosophical book in the series. I liked it a lot, but it really only contains one major set piece. Sam's storyline is full of history and lore, which I enjoy a lot. The Martell storyline introduces a compelling house and characters that you will appreciate once you get a feel for them.

I think I know what you mean though. At first it's a little annoying when you want to see how the characters you know are getting on, and George keeps throwing new ones at you. In hindsight, I'm glad he did, because they are compelling in their own right and they enrich the story.

Dance contains many more set pieces, and if you're a fan of Robert E Howard's Conan stories, you'll particularly like Tyrion's storyline, I think. You'll also get a kick out of who he teams up with.

The writing of Feast and Dance are up to the standard of the earlier books. However, there are pacing and flow issues, because chapters that were originally intended to follow from each other were split by continent. These are minor issues, though.

You can re-edit the chapter's in their original order if you really want to.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Tyrion does not make an appearance. Books four and five were split by character

That's disappointing. At least I can stop waiting for him to show up.

Quote:
The last 2 books are amazing. Feast is the most subtle and philosophical book in the series. I liked it a lot, but it really only contains one major set piece. Sam's storyline is full of history and lore, which I enjoy a lot. The Martell storyline introduces a compelling house and characters that you will appreciate once you get a feel for them.

I like Sam's story line. He seems like a bit of a Samwise Gamgee knock-off, though. I just can't get interested in the Martells at all. I really just want to know about the Lannisters, the Starks, and what's going on at the Wall. Even Daenerys has become tiresome since she started wandering about building her army.

Quote:
Dance contains many more set pieces, and if you're a fan of Robert E Howard's Conan stories, you'll particularly like Tyrion's storyline, I think. You'll also get a kick out of who he teams up with.

I love Tyrion. There is no dull scene if he's in it.

I agree there are definitely pacing and flow issues. There also seems to be a lot of unnecessary "reminding" of who characters are and what's happened to them. It's book four, I don't think I need to be retold who Sansa's siblings are. Also, enough with the detailed descriptions of brooches and velvet doublets, and endless lists of insignificant bannermen and houses. :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm

I've only just started book four but already it feels truncated without resuming the regular character's storylines. I'm curious to see what happens to Tyrion and Arya.