I have motor and balance problems, please help

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 7:14 pm

I signed up for a gym and since I have someone from my autism service coming with me, I feel like I'm locked into a certain routine that I can't get out of because the people supervising me say it's for my own good to start easy. That's nice and all, but I really don't have a sense of direction on what I need to be doing to become a muscle guy, not overnight of course.

I have been slow at performing squats. I need to be in absolute perfect form or I might break something. I execute the squats too slowly. How can I not shake and achieve the right form with weight, especially dumbbells?

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 8:04 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I signed up for a gym and since I have someone from my autism service coming with me, I feel like I'm locked into a certain routine that I can't get out of because the people supervising me say it's for my own good to start easy. That's nice and all, but I really don't have a sense of direction on what I need to be doing to become a muscle guy, not overnight of course.

I have been slow at performing squats. I need to be in absolute perfect form or I might break something. I execute the squats too slowly. How can I not shake and achieve the right form with weight, especially dumbbells?

I said in another thread to someone to consider doing Tai Chi. That could help in your case as well.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 11:59 am

To get the most out of squat, you need to use your back, your abs, and your neck as well as your legs. Place the bar high on your lats rather than on your neck, be sure to keep a straight lower back, use a leg stance 1.5 times your shoulder width, place the weight on your heels, and have your feet in a 30 degree angle to the side. Use a belt when squatting heavy (be safe, not sorry), and always go below parallel. If you can't go below parallel, you shouldn't even be carrying the weight on your back in the first place.