Recovering From Post Firing Reclusion

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm

You know something? I don't have a paycheck or smart peers but in a way I'm sort of okay with that. I have a nice home-office setup as unemployed programmers go. I got the door that closes, a window I can open to let air in. The environment is nicer than what I had at my last job.

The downer is that I've been kind of afraid to share my stuff with the world anymore. It's kind of my fault. I let the bullies at my last job turn me into a recluse. So where I was sharing code like crazy before I worked there, I mostly hide myself nowadays. I've been doing that for nearly a year now.

So it's kind of like I'm this 40 year old fired programmer aspie guy but so what? How does that prevent me from sharing my stuff like I did before? Answer: It doesn't! So I guess I'm working myself up to getting my act together to stop hiding. So with all that being done, it's to start hacking again. Not sure if it'll make me a living again but at least I'd get to feel alive.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:34 am

unknownfactor wrote:
You know something? I don't have a paycheck or smart peers but in a way I'm sort of okay with that. I have a nice home-office setup as unemployed programmers go. I got the door that closes, a window I can open to let air in. The environment is nicer than what I had at my last job.

The downer is that I've been kind of afraid to share my stuff with the world anymore. It's kind of my fault. I let the bullies at my last job turn me into a recluse. So where I was sharing code like crazy before I worked there, I mostly hide myself nowadays. I've been doing that for nearly a year now.

So it's kind of like I'm this 40 year old fired programmer aspie guy but so what? How does that prevent me from sharing my stuff like I did before? Answer: It doesn't! So I guess I'm working myself up to getting my act together to stop hiding. So with all that being done, it's to start hacking again. Not sure if it'll make me a living again but at least I'd get to feel alive.

Right on.

I know how the bullying thing can leave it's mark.

All the best.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:48 am

As long as you have a decent amount of savings, and are able to pay the mortgage/rent, etc., who am I to tell you to go back to work? LOL

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

Thanks.

First steps have been taken and I posted code on this other forum for the first time in quite awhile. I'm not saying who they are but I can say they are a good lot. So it's a start. At any rate, back to work on other things.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

unknownfactor wrote:
Thanks.

First steps have been taken and I posted code on this other forum for the first time in quite awhile. I'm not saying who they are but I can say they are a good lot. So it's a start. At any rate, back to work on other things.

Cool.

I always thought I didn't like people, until I fell into a great group of awesome people on a software website. Good, good folks, eevn when correcting, on the whole, they stay very approachable and kind. That type of community is priceless and has made a world of difference in my life.