Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:50 pm

You've seen my past posts here on WP been here for ages. Days of family drama issues. Depression. crying. All types of emotions and feelings. Not a day usually goes by without replaying past mistakes in my head as usual. Uh. Today I feel empty not a thought in my head (outside of planning what I'm going to type now to you speak to you in this post). otherwise no depression/crying/upset over some family comment. Just dead at peace it's WEIRD! I don't want to cry in a curled up ball! Or be depressed. Not zoned out in my own world ignoring people as I sometimes do as many others do on the spectrum just like weird. Not a thought in my head dead at peace so to speak. It feels WEIRD!! !! !! I think I kind of like it. :-) Parents have asked are you upset? I said no and go about my day.

Again I feel dead at peace no emotion it's WEIRD!! !! ! Jumped back into Pokemon which I haven't done in awhile my goal is to try to finish the "Gotta Catch Them All" and I'm 41 away from doing that with 718 total so that's AWESOME to be down to just 41 left that I need!! ! :-)

Anyone relate to this emptiness feeling? A name perhaps to it? Kind of like it I think.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 11:00 pm

those recordings of past unpleasantnesses are akin to your neighbor's dog's barking continuously- you have got to turn those recordings OFF and put on some music in your head. some people call the emptiness "anomie."

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:21 am

I can relate to all you've said. I suffer from chronic, lifelong depression. I also tend to mentally replay bad experiences--including trivial stuff. When that happens, you just have to work hard to "change the channel." One of the other posters mentions music. That is a very good way to cope, but it's best to avoid sad music at such times. Instead go for fun, perky, upbeat music. Dance music, marches, square dance music, upbeat country music, Polka music, Irish jigs, reels, etc. are all good. I have CDs of marches, and a CD of polka music, also several show tune CDs from movies and plays, and a number of other kinds of music. It really does help to play music to drown out the depressive feelings, and the replaying of bad events.

I also get that dead or blank feeling a lot, and I too find it easier to take than depression or mental replays of bad stuff. Yes, it is very peaceful, and far less stressful, and yes, I have often been asked if I was upset at times when I was feeling blank, when actually I felt better that way than at other times. Apparently, when we are feeling blank, it looks to others like we are unhappy. :lol:

Also like you, I often zone out. Much of the time, I am just engrossed in my own stuff, and this causes me to tune others out. Other times, I am just not up to dealing with other people and will deliberately try to shut them out.

Right now I am having a combo of zoned out because I am engrossed with the I-net, and I also feel somewhat blank, but for me blank is okay. Unfortunately, I also feel exhausted because I don't get enough sleep. I woke up after only a few hours of sleep, and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and came online. I usually sleep 3-6 hours at a stretch, which leaves me constantly exhausted. I will try going back to sleep after a meal and bathroom break. Because of health issues, I can't work anymore, so I am sometimes able to go back to sleep during the day to make up for not sleeping enough hours.

I suspect the blank feeling may be partly caused by lack of sleep, but at least it is a non stressful state, which I much prefer over being stressed out. I just wish I didn't have to be exhausted to feel that way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:39 am

I feel better when I put on some new age music, which sounds especially good in surround sound where it wraps all around you like a soothing aural blanket.